Canon MX860 WiFi Stopped

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@jimbo123 - followed the instructions to the letter and no joy. I got to the same place I did before in the network tool to select the access point and it was not seen nor able to be seen even with a manual setup. Looking at the WLAN Settings on the printer's control panel, the WLAN remains INACTIVE no matter what I do. If the WiFi radio doesn't turn on then that's it. Finito. Put a fork in it. Over. :(

Connecting the printer via Ethernet cable to the wireless router is a no go as the router is in the basement (worst place ever). A router bridge is out as well. They just want a new printer, something smaller as well but is still an All In One. Any suggestions?

I've been researching wireless AOI printers that meet their requirements:

• Smaller footprint than the MX860
  • Faster print times than the MX860
  • All In One
  • ADF (Automatic Document Feeder)
  • Auto Duplex printing a plus but not needed
  • Wireless

They probably do not care if the printer uses a tri-color cartridge or single cartridge per color. The tri-color cartridge printers from Canon tend to be slower printers than the single color cartridge printers. The three I have narrowed it down to of the Canon's are
  • TS9520 ($200)
  • TR7520 ($80)
  • TR8520 ($100)
The last two printers are the smaller footprint. They are relatively new but have a number of complaints on Amazon and Canon websites. However, it seems all these non-Pro printers have a lot of complaints.

Of the HP printers I've seen, there are models for consideration:
  • OfficeJet Pro 6968 ($90)
  • OfficeJet Pro 6978 ($100)
I haven't begun looking at Epson yet but welcome suggestion.

Recommendations? Warnings? Beuhler?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
While it is smaller than the MX860, it is sloooow like the MX860 and the worst of the bunch when it comes to the ubiquitous 4" x 6" photo print (60 sec vs 41 sec for the MX860)

I printed out 10 4" x 6" prints for them yesterday and it was slow at default quality settings, excremental worse when best quality selected. :tongue

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I’ve never rated any printer on its speed, only on its ease of use reliability and refillability...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You are also not my sister. She's making the decision.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
stratman

good job giving it your best shot, sounds like the WIFI card inside is not working.

tough to bail on the 860, since the ink carts are so easy to refill. could always get a $50 WIFI print server or use and old laptop w WIFI to act as a print server. would hate to loose the option to refill.

if interested i have an old dell mini(10") that i'd be more than glad to send to you(no charge) if your want.

PM me if interested.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MX870, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@jimbo123 - thank you for your suggestions and generous offer of your Dell mini. :hugs

They did try refilling and then threw in the towel after the first refill and went back to new OEM cartridges. I talked to them about a print server and that was a no go as well.

The boss, my sister, does not like the "big and slow" MX860 and so the printer must go. Appealing to her sense of frugality, I was able to convince her to continue to use the printer till the just purchased cartridges are used.

With the end nearing, I put in my offer to give the soon to be retired printer a new home where she'll be lovingly cared for. :)

Latest posts