Canon MX472 Code 6000 on startup

weblee2407

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX472
Our MX472 has been working properly for a number of years. A few days ago it failed during a print request and posted code 5100. I could see color ink where the pads are located so I removed the color cartridge and cleaned up best I could. The cartridge was oozing too much so I replaced it. The code didn't just disappear so I performed one of the many reset processes you can find on the internet. Power off and unplug for 5 minutes; plug in and press the stop button for 2 seconds; press and hold Power and hit stop 5 times. The error was cleared but I had forgotten to put the paper back in the tray. I loaded the paper and powered off and on. When it came on it pulled the entire stack of paper thru the printer! They seemed to have all come thru but now the printer has a code 6000.

I have tried to clean that clear strip and find stuck pieces of paper but nothing seems to get this error cleared. I see lots of disassembly instructions but my printer doesn't have screws in the locations specified.

If paper is stuck in there I wont be able to find it without some disassembly - I have looked in all the doors and covers without result.

All advise is appreciated

Weblee

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Error 6000: the timing slit disk located at the extreme left of the carriage needs cleaning. It's pointed with a red arrow in the picture below. Surely this photo is not of a MX472, but the location is always the same.
Error 5100 concerns the timing slit strip film (blue arrow) that you tried to cleaned before error 6000 appeared (that is, if I understood you correctly).
Don’t be too surprised if error 5100 cleared before you cleaned the strip. It happened to me several times on my Pro9000. I fixed the issue leaving the printer always on. I have no idea why, but never again I got this problem.

Back to error 6000, you could wipe carefully the slit disk with a clean lint or paper towel soaked in alcohol or distilled water. Depending on the design of your printer, accessing the disk without any disassembly might be rather difficult. Tweezers and a small flashlight can help. Inspect the disk for stains or scratches.
Good luck!

canon5100.6000.jpg

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Error code 5100 may be due to a dirty Timing Strip or an obstruction by a foreign body. This may be due to bits of paper or other material blocking proper function somewhere somehow. Here is a detailed explanation and recommendations for error code 5100:

https://e-methodstechnologies.com/canon-printer-error-5100/

Error code 6000 may be your cartridges are not properly seated. Check this first. Otherwise, it probably is a foreign body obstruction. Again this can be bits of paper but anything that isn't supposed to be where it is is the problem. Here is Canon's explanation and recommendations:

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1035014/~/error-code-6000:-resolving-error-code-6000-on-pixma/maxify-printers

Cleaning the Timing Strip is easy and innocuous unless you damage it in the process. You don't want to touch it with your bare fingers or a dirty towel/cloth as smudges till cause a Timing Strip error. There are marks purosefully on the Timing Strip - used for "timing" - so if certain marks don't come off easily then do not keep rubbing! A lint free cloth or paper towel with isopropyl alcohol will do. The one inch squared alcohol swabs work. So, give it a try. :fl

If that doesn't resolve the issue then you will need to track down and remove the foreign object. Good lighting is essential. Some minor disassembly may be required. Maybe you can use your cell phone to video the deeper recesses or get a closer view of fiddly areas inside the printer.

Here's a couple of videos that may be of help. Watch both before proceeding.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
...Error code 6000 may be your cartridges are not properly seated. Check this first. Otherwise, it probably is a foreign body obstruction. Again this can be bits of paper but anything that isn't supposed to be where it is is the problem. Here is Canon's explanation and recommendations:

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1035014/~/error-code-6000:-resolving-error-code-6000-on-pixma/maxify-printers...
This is very interesting. My service manuals are for older printers than the MX472 and I have only seen that error 6000 means line feed error. So some error codes for newer printers have got an new meaning. I wonder when Canon began to change the meaning of error codes and why?

Druckerchannel.de has a list of Canon error codes. They also list the cause of error 6000 as a dirty timing disk.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
From the MP640 Service Manual

1637517457471.png

The videos I posted are corroboration that jams are causative of these errors. It may also explain the transitory nature of the error for Artur5. A dirty Timing Strip does not self-clean.

weblee2407

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX472
Thanks for the excellent input everyone I really appreciate it.

well...I haven't been able to resolve the issue and I do not feel I can properly clean anything without some disassembly. The more I wipe it seems the more ink comes off of something!

So now - just how is this unit broken down? I will send a few pictures of where the 4 screws are. Yes...only four screws I can see holding the whole thing together. The design is ingenious.

Where are those long tweezers sold that I see in all the videos?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3