Canon MX330 error trouble . Can anyone help !

Curt37

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello :)

Im new to the forums. Found this site while searching for answers on how to fix an error that my printer is giving me.
I have a Canon MX330 which i bought brand new about a year ago. I turned it on today and the error alarm went off and told me " Error U015 - The following Ink Cartridges Can Not Be Recoginized" and it highlights both the color and black inks. So i shut it off and turned it back on and now it tells me the same message but only highlights the blank ink. Sometimes it says both and sometimes just the black, it cant make up its mind lol.

I know the cartridges are correct because they came with the printer. I refill my own ink with high quality inks and i use the factory fill holes on the cartridges using a very small insulin medical needle, it fits the very tiny hole perfectly so you dont have to make the holes larger. So by doing it this way it also keeps the cartridges from leaking. I put tape over the holes and leave the very tip of the air flow canal uncovered just like the factory sticker does so the ink flows the way it should as well..

These cartridges have worked fine all this time and now im getting this error. I dont want to go buy new ink and still have it tell me they are wrong. These inks are too expencive. Does anyone know how to reset this error or correct it ? I need this printer to be working because my small business relies on this for printing out lables and boxes.

So please if anyone knows how to fix this problem i would be greatfull :)

Thanks in advance :)

-Curt

Wondering_Mike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Curt and welcome to this forum where i've found many answers in the complicated world of refilling.

When I read your story I cannot help but wonder if you may have accidently touched the front chip during refilling. The human skin is quite greasy and that grease may corrode the contacts on the chip and therefore show the error message. It's this chip which does the communication in your printer that indeed the correct cartridge is inserted (it also 'remembers' how many pages you printed and tells you accordingly if you should insert a new cartridge).

My tip would be to take the cartridge out of the printer and gently try a 'wipe' it clean with paper tissue and/or use airduster (compressed air in a spraycan).
DONT use water of any solvents to clean it!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Wondering_Mike :D

Curt37

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey Mike :)

Thanks for the reply :)
I always wear rubber gloves when i refill my inks, i learned from refilling my first printers ink that it can get pretty messy lol. But back then i was using a store bought kit and a printer that wasnt all that great so the ink was all over .. But with the MX330 and using the insulin needle to refill the tanks its almost no mess at all. But i did think of that as well i have whiped the contacts down just incase i did touch them at some point. I emailed canon as well last night and explain the problem to them as well so im waiting to see what they say too . Im sure ill get the cookie cutter copy and paste answers from them that i already read on there site lol.

Anyways thanks for the reply :) and if you or anyone else think of anything else i may be able to try to fix this error that would be great :)

Thanks again :)

-Curt