Canon Mp980 is very fustrating

polishadonis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello all,

I purchased this printer and than I purchased the refill kit and I refilled all except the gray and two of the cartriges were unreadable (level of ink unreadable). This made the printer not do anything, can't print or even scan anything, why Canon does this is just stupid.

Anyways, so I purchased 40 replacement print cartriges for around $60 and when they arrived I saw they dont have any chips with them?

I really need some help, I am stuck. What do I do? Do I return the ink refill kit and the ink cartirges or one of them or do something else?

Thanks so much in advance.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
One thing: you should always read very carefully the ad selling the cartridges: is there a chip or not attached on it.... Refill is always better than any replacement carts. Never touch the chips on the cartridges to avoid any static electricty which might damage the chips. You could try a resetter to see if this will resolve the problem.

polishadonis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ya, but I heard the resetter is not out yet for the MP980. If it is, where can I get it?

So, don't bother with the cartridges with out the chip? Send them back?

Thank you

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Yes I have one, but it was unfortunately DOA and I am waiting for a replacement. Ship the cartridges back and ask a refund. The new Peach resetter can reset all colours including the CLI-521 grey cartridge. The key problem is the chip: original cartridges can be refilled until your printer will fail because of wear.

polishadonis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So now my question is, where do I get the peach resetter.

Thank you everyone for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You don't have to wait for the resetter. Canon printers can be refilled without resetting the chips. You need to read the messages from the printer carefully and respond to the messages appropriately. If you respond to the messages correctly you will see a message that tells you to press a button on your printer for 5 seconds. When that's done the printer will work again. The ink level status will be disabled but that's not a problem at all. Just check inl level frequently by pulling the cartridges. Depending on how much you use your printer you may only need to check the ink level once a month.