Canon MP800R print problems following head clean

apriloil

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Success! Installed my new print head and replaced ink with Canon branded ink and my printer is now happy again!

It's amazing to think I was ready to scrap it and buy a new printer when it just needed a new part.

Thanks everyone for the support.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Please make sure you let your print head sit in a warm spot for two days after you do any kind of cleaning outside the printer. I, unfortunately, did not follow my own advice recently and burned up a print head and the printer it was in. I hate to hear this happen to someone else.
Does anyone have a theory why Canon heads with water will burn out? Is it the electronics or heater elements?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It's not the individual heater elements because that would affect just one at a time. It's the electronics because this effects groups of nozzles. I have one print head where the last two columns of pigment black don't print but the more common symptom is the upper or lower half of nozzles of one color for one of the directions. There are usually two sets of nozzles for cyan and magenta.

Water, especially with additives, can conduct electricity which shorts out the electronics.

Some of the heads that I have burnt out show visible burn marks (craters) on the bottom of the print head.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. I know electro-chemical reaction can do severe damage to electronics.