Canon MP780 printing incorrect colour.

Georgio38

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have followed with interest the forums:( information regarding cleaning of the print-head, and have successfully got the black cartridge to print again which was the initial problem. On printing a colour photograph I have a strange problem in that the photograph now has a yellow caste across the whole of the photo. When I run the Canon cleaning and test built in program the test colours appear washed out but generally as should be, but the cartridges 6C 6M 6Y 6BK alpha labels and the 6C and 6M blocks are printed in an olive colour instead of the gray I believe they should be. Can anyone throw some light on this problem or is it a sign that the print- head is worn out.

I hope my description makes sense

Thanks for any help
George

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Can you print a nozzle check and post a scan of it?

Pull your carts (one at a time, putting each cart back before removing the next one), and look for evidence of a strange ink color at the exit port. Sometimes ink from one cart is "wicked back" into another - this really messes with the color.

Georgio38

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello Grandad35,
Thank you for posting so quickly, I have pull each cartridge without witnessing any strange colour at the exit port.
I have also uploaded two images: 1. The nozzle test and 2 a cmykrgb test which shows a real mess.
I trust I have uploaded the files correctly and that you can see them properly as its the first time I have done this.
Regards George

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Gorgio38,

The images don't show. Do you have the URL's where they are posted? If so, just edit your post and include them.

Georgio38

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello grandad35,

I made a mistake with the images!

The url's are as follows

3711_img_nozzlecheck.jpg

3711_img_cmykrgb_test.jpg

Trust you can find them now

Regards George

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Georgio38,

The yellow in your nozzle check is VERY light - is this just because of the settings on your scanner, or is it really that light? Are the cyan, magenta and black test patterns the correct colors? The nozzle check doesn't show blocked nozzles. The colors in your test print are definitely off, but not in a way that is easy to diagnose. What inks are your using? Are you using photo paper? The inks appear to be contaminated or the wrong color.

Get a few clean cotton tipped swabs (Q-Tips), then remove your carts as before and gently blow into the vent on the top front of each cart to get a few drops of each ink to drip on a piece of food wrap. Absorb each ink into a clean cotton swab, then apply the ink to a piece of photo paper to check the ink's color as it exits from the cart. Do the test blotches all look like the correct colors?

Did this problem just start? Did you change anything else recently (e.g. ink, paper, etc.)?

Georgio38

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello Grandad35,

Reference your post, the yellow is very light as is the cyan, magenta and the small black test blocks, the larger black test blocks are rich black but apart from that colours appear to be correct.
The inks used are Print-Rite for Canon, though they recently renamed them as photo yellow, photo cyan and photo magenta.
The paper used is Canon pp-101 or pr-101 when I can get it. Recently I purchased 100 sheets of Epson Premium Glossy and I believe that is when I started having this problem.
I shall now obtain some Canon Photo paper and try your suggested cotton tipped swabs test and let you know the result.

Thanks again for continued efforts
Regards George

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Georgio38,

Some printers use a "Photo Magenta" and a "Photo Cyan" in addition to the regular Magenta and Cyan - they are diluted versions of their full strength brothers. If Photo Magenta and Photo Cyan were used in place of the full strength inks, the yellow would overwhelm them and give a strong yellow cast to everything (sound familiar?). Are you sure that they didn't ship the wrong inks, and that this isn't just a change in their naming convention? If this is the case, most of your colors would appear to be "washed out".

I have never heard of any printer using "Photo Yellow", so it is possible that this was, in fact, just a change in how they name their inks and not a color problem (a very confusing choice for a new name). Perhaps someone who has experience with "Print-Rite" can comment on the color and quality of their inks. Did the problem just start when you switched to the new ink? If so, ....

You didn't mention your printer model and whether you buy compatibles or refill.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Georgio38:

Your MP780 uses the same cartridges as my i4000. They are BCI-3BK, BCI-6BK, BCI-6C, BCI-6M and BCI-6Y. It doesn't use photo colors such as BCI-6PM or the BCI-6PC. As stated by Grandad35 there isn't a Photo Yellow.
Most likely the inks you are using are of the photo type, which are the lighter of the two colors. Thats why your colors are way off.
You should purchase some standard Magenta and Cyan and refill the cartridges with the proper ink and try you printout again.

Georgio38

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello Grandad,
Thank you I think you have arrived at the cause of my problems, the printer is a Pixma MP780 and the problem dated from when I received the newly named Photo 'Colour' even the bc6 Black is called Photo. These are only identified on the cardboard box of the compatible cartridge, not the cartridge itself.
I can appreciate if the ink was the original strength it would give this colour caste i have been aware that the colours have appeared washed out when performing the nozzle test.
I will buy a new set of Canon cartridges to confirm.
Thanks again for your sound advice

Regards George