Canon MP760 color shifting & banding

IanB

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a problem with my Canon MP760 printer, which recently began printing light evenly-spaced bands on color printing, and it also appears to be printing incorrect colors. I am a newbie, and have found several related posts in this forum, but nothing seemed to show the same symptoms or severity, so I was hoping that someone here has seen (or can diagnose) this issue.

I am using non OEM cartridges and have been doing so for quite sometime, but I'm struggling to see how this could have caused the problem (but willing to be enlightened if need be). The print head checks (which I will try to upload shortly) show very clear and regular banding when the color inks are used more heavily, but no banding at lighter shades.

A color test pattern http://www.neilslade.com/gifs/TestPrint6Color.jpg shows the banding on all colors, but only the blue and cyan are reproduced in the correct shade. The Yellow is printed as light green and the magenta is printed as purple. I have double checked that all color cartridges are in the correct positions.

It really appears to me that the printers brain has been scrambled, but of course I was hoping that someone here would have a bit better explanation and advice on whether the problem is terminal!

IanB

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Here is a scan of the test color print http://www.neilslade.com/gifs/TestPrint6Color.jpg
which shows the banding and incorrect color rendition

5640_001.jpg

IanB

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
And here is a scan of the nozzle check pattern which shows the banding on the heavier colors but not the lighter cyan and magenta. Note that all colors are correctly rendered.

5640_002.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The regular pattern on the nozzle check indicates an electrical problem. If you're lucky, it could be in the contacts between the back of the print head and the carriage. The safest thing to do is remove all the cartridges and then do to deep head cleanings to get the ink out of the print head. Then remove the print head. While the print head is out of the printer, make sure the lever that holds it in is put back down and unplug the printer.to keep the carriage from moving back to its park position. Next, clean the gold contacts on the print head with a soft cloth. Also look to see if the contacts sticking out the back of the carriage are not bent and can go in and out under spring tension. Then put it all back together and plug it in. You can hit the Stop/Reset button when it asks you if you want to do the auto align. Try another nozzle check and see if you have fixed the problem. If so, you're lucky.

If not, the problem is in the print head and cannot be fixed and you will need to buy a new print head. Check with your local authorized Canon service center to see if they have one in stock or can order one for you. It will cost you around $55 with tax. You can also find them on eBay. Your print head is the same one that goes in an MP780 and an iP4000.

IanB

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi InkJet Master!,

Thanks so much for your quick reply - I was hoping it would be you that answered based on your comprehensive replies to other posts I had read.

Unfortunately despite following your excellent instructions, I had no luck and the result remains the same, so it looks like nothing short of a new printhead will do the trick.

I had a quick look on EBay, and it looks like the QY6-0049 printhead (I think that's the correct one) is going to cost about A$100, so given the printers age and the potential for other problems, I think I'll check out the prices on a new printer instead.

We would like to add wireless capability to the scanning and CD printing capabilities of the MP760 (which we have been very happy with), but our printing needs are relatively low and we don't really need great quality photo printing either - do you have suggestions about what could be the lowest cost option.?

We were using PRINTEC Imaging cartridges in the MP760 with pretty good results and no problems until now, and even though I suspect they last only about half as long, the price was so low that it was worth the risk. Any comments on this brand or using non OEM cartridges in general?

Thanks again, IanB

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You are not going to find a new printer as good as the older Canon printers that do not have chips in the cartridges. I would replace the print head. You can always get wireless with a printer server and you can add CD printing capability to this printer. I could not recommend a new Canon printer and I have no experience with other brands.

I do not recommend any compatible cartridges, especially for refilling, but if you are happy with them, then continue to use them. I recommend refilling Canon OEM cartridges. One thing you should check is to print something on plain paper in greyscale (Fast Text printing) and after the ink dries, dribble some water across the page and see if the ink smears or runs. Many compatible cartridges do not use 100% pigment in the BCI-3eBk cartridges.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The best place to buy new Canon printheads (in the US) is from Canon, themselves. Look up the 800 number on their website and give them a call!

Wayne

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
There is always the risk though that the printer is damaged and will ruin the new printhead though. These electrical malfunctions are a real gamble.

IanB

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice, I will take that onboard and contact Canon directly to see what a printhead will cost shipped here to Australia. If I do try replacing the head I'll let you know whether it works or not, but keep in mind this might be a few weeks by the time it gets here!

Thanks again, IanB

StuartE

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
You can't buy direct from Canon in Australia, but you can go to a Canon parts dealer. Even allowing for benefits for the exchange rate at the moment, I think freight from overseas will be prohibitive compared to buying locally. What state are you in, I may be able to recommend someone local to you.

Cheers,
Stuart