Canon MP760- after installing new printhead + ref. carts alignm. fails

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
@ghwellsjr, thanks very much for sharing your part. I am not too sure why you didn't get that message. Probably different printer giving different result as I do get that error msg that the printhead is unrecognized when it went dead.

What I meant by printhead back gold plates must align with the carriage connectors, I am not referring that it has anything to do with the performing the printhead alignment printing. As explained at post #16 "Not so much as dealing with the printing out of the alignment."

What I am saying is that if these gold plates do not align well as such does not make good contacts with the carriage connectors pin, then there signal communicated failure. If any of the signal is not communicated, it's obviously will not be able to perform the printing of printhead alignment neither any other form of printing. This is the same as what you saying "it is not seated properly and electrical contact is not made with the connector on the carriage then nothing will print and you won't be able to do an alignment."

Okay, let us recollect. Now some of us had experience that their some printhead has electric problem (as depicted by half band in nozzle check or missing the entire row of nozzles in their nozzles check), now obvious these nozzles aren't working. But one could still perform printhead alignment printing. Just that the alignment nozzle print would end up looking weird.

I am not too sure why after hazelnut had replaced with generic carts and it's still getting the same error result. I am waiting for her to reply whether before she had inserted the generic carts, did she perform the removal and reinstallation the printhead again after removing the refill carts.

By the way, at post #15, you mentioned
ghwellsjr said:
There is a light sensor on the bottom of the print head that looks at the dots that the printer is putting down while the print head is going back and forth
May I know where is this sensor you are referring to located? And if you would be kind to provide a picture or refer me to a picture that refer to this sensor at the bottom of the printhead. Thanks.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
From post #12:
hazelnut said:
(it's he BTW)
I often get the message "Wrong Cartridge" for an electrically bad print head, it's just for the one case that burned out my MP760 when I didn't get any message. I suspect that electrically all the logic circuitry was working inside the printer and inside the print head and what burned out was a power supply line that went to the nozzle heaters.

And thanks for clarifying about what you mean by aligning. I totally agree.

Concerning your last point, I should have said the light source and sensor on the bottom side of the carriage that the print head rides in. Sorry about the confusion, I'll go back and fix that. If you look on the left side of the carriage, you can see some sheet metal that covers the light source and sensor and above that three wires that go down to them. Next time I take a printer apart, I will try to get some pictures of them from below.

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lin said:
After you removed the refilled carts and replaced with generic carts, did you remove and reinstall the printhead prior to inserting the generic carts? Because the refilled carts where the plug from the refilled carts might have shifted the printhead slightly. So when you replaced with the generic carts the erorr is still there until the printhead resitted again.
Yes I did remove the printhead before putting the generic carts in, still exactly the same result :(.

lin said:
now if it had been liquid that have gotten into the prinhead where it shouldn't be as described by ghwellsjr and eventually killing your printhead (due to electric problem). I would think that it would give you a message that your printhead is unrecognized (since it's dead) assuming it didn't gotten to other part of the printhead like the circuit board and bring down your whole printer.
I think it just said, no print head is installed, please install print head?

ghwellsjr said:
When I had the problem with my MP760, I got no error messages, it simply would not print anything. I put in a second print head and it also would not print anything but the second print head worked in other printers. I obviously did not put the original print head back in any other printer as I assume it is a printer killer.

When you remove ink cartridges from a printer, you should plug up the outlet hole with the original orange cap (held on with a rubber band if necessary) or with vinyl tape. Do not cover the air vent hole as that is necessary to allow the cartridge to safely breathe.

You cannot hear the sound of the ink being ejected. The motor noises are much louder.
Thanks for your advice. There was definitely a noise that I used to hear when doing a head cleaning, that sounded like something being pumped in a da daaa, da daaa rhythm, whereas now when I do a head clean I just get the sound of the rollers rotating?

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I think your MP760 is kaput.
Indeed I think it is, thanks for your and lin's help on this. One saving grace is the CCD scanner is still working so I can get some of our old slides/negatives scanned in, neither of the replacements I am looking at MP540/560/630/640 & the MX850 have this function, I would have considered a MP970 but there don't seem to be any availiable in the UK anymore. Can anyone advise on the reliability & ease of use/refilling of my above options?