Canon MP760- after installing new printhead + ref. carts alignm. fails

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK, I have just installed a new printhead after my old one failed, with refilled carts & ink from hobbicolors using the German refill method. When I tried to align the printhead it makes all the actions and noises as if it is printing but no ink comes out onto the page, the info screen says printhead alignment failed. When trying manual alignment similarly it tries to print but nothing comes out onto the page- has anyone got an idea what the problem may be?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You need to make sure your purge unit is working or you won't get any ink flowing through your new print head. An easy way to find out is to open the cover, wait for the print head to stop, use a syringe to deposit some window cleaner or just plain water on the two pads off to the right where the print head parks, close the cover and re-open it and see if the liquid has been sucked away. If the liquid is still there, do a head cleaning and see if that will make it go away.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It may also help to know exactly what type of failure occurred with the old printhead that led you to replace it , and how this failure was indicated to you?

Correction:- have now seen other thread regarding failure......please disregard

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
You need to make sure your purge unit is working or you won't get any ink flowing through your new print head. An easy way to find out is to open the cover, wait for the print head to stop, use a syringe to deposit some window cleaner or just plain water on the two pads off to the right where the print head parks, close the cover and re-open it and see if the liquid has been sucked away. If the liquid is still there, do a head cleaning and see if that will make it go away.
OK I will try this, back later!

headphonesman said:
It may also help to know exactly what type of failure occurred with the old printhead that led you to replace it , and how this failure was indicated to you?

Correction:- have now seen other thread regarding failure......please disregard
Hi, a warning came up with print head has failed please replace print head or similar.

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
OK, I got some distilled water on the pads (I presume they are the only two foam pads visible when the printhead is in the center), closed the top, and reopened, it did seem to go away, but I wonder do I need to put a lot of water on the top or won't it just soak into the foam? I tried a deep head clean and then the alignment but it again stated it failed.

One thing I was worrying about when I did the german refill, the syringe seemed to go all the way through into the last chamber on some of the carts (maybe 3 of the 5)- is that correct or could that be what is causing the problem? Also, all carts had a clean white foam strip at the top except the yellow, that only had part white, could it be I overfilled that one?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There is no point in doing an alignment unless your print head is working. First do a nozzle check and don't print anything else until it is working.

It sounds like you are doing the purge pump test correctly. If it were not working, the liquid would stay on the pads forever, well, at least for a very long time.

When you do the German refill, the needle must enter the reservoir and you should inject ink only into the reservoir. Make sure the cartridge is upside down while you do this.

When you do a nozzle check, does anything print at all?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
hazelnut, you mentioned you replaced with a new printhead, and you gotten the "print head has failed" message. It's quite unlikely for a brand new printhead to be faulty. If you are still getting the printhead has failed error, first removed all your cartridges and remove the printhead. Then reinstall your printhead back to the printer just in case it wasn't sitted properly previously.

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
There is no point in doing an alignment unless your print head is working. First do a nozzle check and don't print anything else until it is working.

It sounds like you are doing the purge pump test correctly. If it were not working, the liquid would stay on the pads forever, well, at least for a very long time.

When you do the German refill, the needle must enter the reservoir and you should inject ink only into the reservoir. Make sure the cartridge is upside down while you do this.

When you do a nozzle check, does anything print at all?
OK, did a nozzle check and nothing prints at all? I also tried the purge pump test with a little more water this time and it definitely does disappear. Re: refilling with the German method, on some carts I did not get the needle past the chamber with the sponge in it- could this be causing problems? Do you have to pierce something or is there a small gap there that I just didn't find?

lin said:
hazelnut, you mentioned you replaced with a new printhead, and you gotten the "print head has failed" message. It's quite unlikely for a brand new printhead to be faulty. If you are still getting the printhead has failed error, first removed all your cartridges and remove the printhead. Then reinstall your printhead back to the printer just in case it wasn't sitted properly previously.
Hi, I don't get the print head failed message with the new printhead, just alignment failed message. I note it is showing ink levels for all carts as two bars- maybe that's just what it shows whn it can't read it- is there a possibility I have put in the new printhead incorrectly somehow?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
just remove the all the cartridges first and then remove the printhead. Thereafter reinstall the printhead back to the printer. It won't take you long do to that isn't it?

I once had the same problem with printhead unable to aligment. And I found out that the printhead wasn't sitted properly even though I didn't receive any message to indicated that it was so.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
But, like I said, there is no point in doing an alignment if the nozzles aren't working, so if it asks you if you want to do the alignment, hit the stop/reset button and do a nozzle check instead. If it prints absolutely nothing, then do a Print Head Cleaning and try another nozzle check. If that doesn't work, do a "Head Deep Cleaning" and try another nozzle check. If that doesn't work, you need to determine if you have an electrical problem or an ink flow problem. Look at your purge pads and see if they have ink on them. Put water or window cleaner on them, do another cleaning and see if they have they have ink on them. If they do, then that would indicate that you have an electrical problem. Let us know for more advice.