Canon MP730 How-to adjust the colors

LeslieK

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My Canon MP730 was dropping the "red" when copying photographs or printing from the system. I ran deep cleaning, nozzle check and head alignment. There were a number of missing or incomplete "blocks", so replaced the print head assembly (genuine Canon part). The test patterns looked fine, but the "red" is still missing in photos.

I printed a business card image which has a definite red symbol in it. The symbol came out a light brown.

Is there some way to adjust the printer to print the proper colors?

Thanks,
Leslie

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
What ink are you using? Are you sure the nozzle check is fine? If it is really fine then it has to be the ink that is not color balanced.

LeslieK

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Leo8088,

I was using Staples inks without any problems for at least a couple of years. I tried some mail-order ink that was quite reasonably priced and until now had no problems. A couple of weeks ago, we had to change cartridges because the yellow and magenta had run out. That's when we had color problems. My wife was copying some photographs, and they came out very blue.

I checked the head with alignment and print nozzle tests and the rectangles were not filled in on the cyan and the magenta. The magenta also didn't look very "pink". So I bought a new head and put the old cartridges back into it. They were pretty full. The result was bright red coming out brown.

I'm going to get some Canon cartridges and try them. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your reply,

Leslie

scso95015

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How to reduce the red skin tone(Face & Skin), by using change the ink color(dilute or any other ways) from canon Printer, Ip 1700, 1600, Mp460 etc. which they are using #40 & #41 Ink Cartridge, all these printer's prints shown Red Skin Red Face, so ugly(even use original Canon cartridges) , majority of Canon Power Short have this problem I can not resolve it from the Camera side, anyone can help to resolve this problem ? Thanks !

LeslieK

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Leo8088. I found that the yellow cartridge was contaminated. Its color was dark and even brownish compared to a new cartridge.

What would you suggest as a replacement for the Canon MP730? Its 4 years old and other problems are showing up - copied pictures are not sharp and I'm getting regular cartridge jams.

Leslie

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
LeslieK,.... I don't think you first Printhead was bad,... just had a difficult clog. Now that you have a new printhead, you should work hard to fix you MP730 and keep it. These are one of the best printers Canon ever put out. I have 5 of them that are many years old and they are still printing fine and the paper handling is the best. I don't understand how you can ever get a Cartridge Jam. It must be something to do with the purge unit sticking since it is full of old ink. The printer may give you a BJ Cartridge error but that is really just the purge unit sticking. If you really really want to replace it I would suggest the MP530, but it uses the "Chipped ink carts" which are much more expensive. You can get reliable ink carts for the MP730 on the intenet for about $1.50 each. You could also learn to refill them yourself and use high quality ink. If the MP730 wasn't so expensive to ship I would buy it from you just for parts.

Porterhouse6

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
1) I purchased my nome MP730 printer approx 3 years ago after much research into printers. It ran great for a couple of years.

2) One day I wanted to copy something off the internet and thought "why can't I just 'blue' it and copy. Well, the machine didn't like that maneuver; the alarm came on, things started happening, and I panicked and tried to turn the printer off.

3) After some burbing and farting, the machine died. There is power to the power supply board but no life otherwise. I ordered a manual and disassembled the machine. I checked the power supply PC board for burned components, including some diodes checks, etc. I expected the fuse on the power supply PC board to be blown, but it wasn't. What a knot headed stupid place to put a fuse---buried on a PC board at the very bottom of a machine. My high opinion of Canon took a hit when I saw that maneuver. The fuse was only 2 inches inside of the cabinet and could have easily been installed so it was accessible from the outside.

4) Four of the 7 wires leading from the PC board upto the logic board have voltages on them and 3 of the 7 wires have zero volts. I can post these values. The manual only has block electrical diagrams. Without more detailed schematics and some test points, I am not able to further isolate the problem. I looked for a relay, either mechanical or solid state, on the power supply board and the logic board, but could not locate one. I know there has to be one. The Canon people are useless---plug/unplug power cord and other kindergarden bulldung!!!

5) My delimma is that the machine is too good---only used at home---to be scrapped. Some one suggested to me that it was the logic board. If I could get a logic board for a reasonable price I would try it. I am between the rock and the hard spot, because I just bought a Brothers 490cw for $100 here in Alberta Canada, and I could easily spend more than that trying to get the MP730 functioning. After getting shafted by Lexmark on an X83, I did my home work before purchasing the Canon MP730 for $425. I still believe the printer to be a good printer, but some software designer didn't calculate and build in the logic to handle what I did to the machine.

6) Any suggestions are welcomed.

Porterhouse6