Canon MP630 or 560?

ivlia

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting either the Canon MP630 or MP560 (they're the same price in the shop). Apart from obvious differences (560 being wireless; 630 having better scan resolution and printing CDs) has anyone got any practical experience of which is the better printer? I'm not really fussed about wireless printing, I just want whichever is the better and more reliable printer. So, which would you recommend? Many thanks!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't have any practical experience with either printer but you'll have a much better time with the MP560 if you plan to refill your cartridges because there is a resetter available for them and they hold more ink.

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In the UK, both the MP560 and MP630 use the same 520/521 cartridges. I don't think the MP630 is sold in the US - the US equivalents are the MP560 and MP640 which also use the same cartridges (220/221 series carts in the states).

I don't know why Canon started using different cartridges in the US and UK. Though my guess is that it is related to the missing US CD/DVD printing capability. Apparently it is no longer possible to patch US firmware to install a CD printer. so the latest US and UK firmware must be substantially different, and the cartridges may have different chips to match the printer's firmware - maybe.

Back on topic, comparing UK and US prices on Amazon, the UK MP560 seems overpriced ...
UK MP560 ... 106.00 ($172.58 USD)
US MP560 ... $99.98 USD

UK MP630 ... 109.99 ($179.09 USD)
US MP640 ... $139.50 USD

Ian

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I don't have any practical experience with either printer but you'll have a much better time with the MP560 if you plan to refill your cartridges because there is a resetter available for them and they hold more ink.
Can anyone confirm if this correct that the MP630 cannot be reset, as they do seem to use the same cartridges according to the Canon website 540 specs, 630 specs? I am considering getting a refurbished 540 or a 630 or the newer wifi 560 or 640, is it worth paying the extra for these newer models- the refurbed 540s are going for 36-46, 630s for 46-66, the 560 is 90, 640 130? I am also considering the older MX850 for 130 as this seems to be slightly more reliable according to reviews. I have read some of the older chipped Canons have problems with the printers stating the carts are empty when they aren't & excessive cleaning wasting ink prior & after each print- has anyone encountered these problems on these models?

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Neither.

Though I have MP560, and IP4700 for CD printing. MP560 works quite well but the prints are a bit warm for my liking, though I know you can tweak the colour settings. The IP4700 scratches printed CD's and I can't get good prints onto discs so I returned it and got an Epson P50 which works very very well.

So if you want wireless, disc printing, want to use CISS in the future, get an Epson P701W or similar.

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
strobemonkey said:
Neither.

Though I have MP560, and IP4700 for CD printing. MP560 works quite well but the prints are a bit warm for my liking, though I know you can tweak the colour settings. The IP4700 scratches printed CD's and I can't get good prints onto discs so I returned it and got an Epson P50 which works very very well.

So if you want wireless, disc printing, want to use CISS in the future, get an Epson P701W or similar.
Thanks, I'd prefer to go Canon as I already have some Hobbicolors refill ink, when you say the prints are warm, is that using Canon OEM ink, or refill ink?

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hazelnut said:
strobemonkey said:
Neither.

when you say the prints are warm, is that using Canon OEM ink, or refill ink?
Yes, I used Canon's ink on my test prints. I have just strated using octoinks but I can't comment now as this is just my first refill, and I didn't do a proper flush.

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
strobemonkey said:
Yes, I used Canon's ink on my test prints. I have just strated using octoinks but I can't comment now as this is just my first refill, and I didn't do a proper flush.
Thanks,. does anyone have any comments on the other models mentioned MP630, 640 and MX850? Would it be fair/unfair to say that the higher end business models are a little more reliable/better built than the cheaper consumer focused models?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
hazelnut said:
ghwellsjr said:
Can anyone confirm if this correct that the MP630 cannot be reset, as they do seem to use the same cartridges according to the Canon website 540 specs, 630 specs? I am considering getting a refurbished 540 or a 630 or the newer wifi 560 or 640, is it worth paying the extra for these newer models- the refurbed 540s are going for 36-46, 630s for 46-66, the 560 is 90, 640 130? I am also considering the older MX850 for 130 as this seems to be slightly more reliable according to reviews. I have read some of the older chipped Canons have problems with the printers stating the carts are empty when they aren't & excessive cleaning wasting ink prior & after each print- has anyone encountered these problems on these models?
As was pointed out in post #3, in the USA where I am, the MP560 uses the PGI-220 and CLI-221 cartridges which I learned from this Canon website. Also, at the time, I don't think there was a resetter available for the cartridges in the MP630 but there may be one now.

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
As was pointed out in post #3, in the USA where I am, the MP560 uses the PGI-220 and CLI-221 cartridges which I learned from this Canon website. Also, at the time, I don't think there was a resetter available for the cartridges in the MP630 but there may be one now.
Thanks, I didn't tag onto that, are the carts physically different & do they hold a different amount of ink? There do seem to be chip resetters availiable for the European CLI-521, PGI-520 carts for around 15-16 on ebay.