Canon mp630 cli521bk causing the prints(small font text in photos) come out blurry

Belle Reve

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP630
Hello ,first of all I'm new here so i want to say I'am grateful for all your responses in advance.
Now, I have a problem with my Pixma mp630 .

Like you can see problem is with cli 521bk overrunning on the sides ,it causes prints come out blurry,especially small font white text on black background,but also on other color backgrounds its blurry,even on a glossy paper(have tried all kinds of paper,same result,different types of paper selection in printer software too(high res,matte,glossy,pro platinum ...).
What confuses me is that there is no any type of defect or clog of bk nozzle itself ,its perfect putting overunning aside.
I have tried everything i could think of. Cleaned the printhead with glass cleaner(ajax) which really helped for all of the other nozzles that are super clean and stripeless. I've also cleaned the timing strip with alcohol and q-tip which i read that could cause double vision prints if dirty,but problem remained. I did auto adjustment of print head,manual adjustment ,still same. Reseted everything i could reset in service tool too. Also reinstalled drivers, tried printer on other pc with different OS , printed nozzle check from printer itself, without connecting it to the pc - same result .
How i know 100% its only cli521bk photo black problem ,is the fact that when i choose "Plain paper(PGBK is used in this case only)" in paper selection area , i get normal prints with normal text that aren't blurred .
I print alot of cd labels so i need photo black and also on glossy paper pgbk is not an option so i need my photo black.
Also i tried different cartridges (have 6 compatible cli521bk and 2 original 521bk-non refilled and few refilled all-same result)

This is how my print looks like

This is the original

If someone has any suggestion what to do next please let me know.
Tnx in advance

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I still think it's a printhead alignment problem from a dirty timing strip. But you apparently did already what is necessary in that respect. If you do refill you may put the photo black ink into the bigger paper black cartridge, (not the other way around) and print with the regular paper setting until you get a final fix.

Belle Reve

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP630
Tnx for quick reply.
I did that too ,i put dye ink in PGBK cartridge but i wasnt happy with the quality even on high settings.

Belle Reve

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP630
I took a look at that thread . I dont think that's the problem ,or maybe it is , but unlike that guy's problem i have no defects in nozzle test (missalignments,clogged nozzles etc) if i had case like him i would be set to buy a new print head, but this way it only confuses me .
Take a look at this game cover i printed few days ago, small text on back side is fine when black text is on blue background (it is a little blurry but im only saying that because i have mp620 too and when i compare prints from mp620 ,that has no problems, to 630 i see the difference ,biggest problem is white text on black background its that blurry that it is so annoying.
I would be fine with mp620 if it had cd/dvd print label ability but it doesnt,if i knew it ,wouldnt even buy it. Damn... I thought all "newer" pixma's have that ability ,didnt even look at spec.

Attachments

• 20170612_200827.jpg
    20170612_200827.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 234

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The nozzle check uploaded in the first post in the thread linked to by stratman shows a print head with damaged nozzles for pigment black. A somewhat similar damage to the nozzles for dye (photo) black looks exactly like your dye black nozzle check.

I have two printers that use the same print head as the MP630. One is a MP640 that has done 4135 prints and an iP4600 that has done 981 prints. Strangely the MP640 has the best print head.

Here is a crop of scans of extended nozzle checks from service mode for the two printers, notice the difference in the dye black stripes:

QY6-0072 ext nozzle check.jpg

Here is a crop from the dye black regular nozzle check for the MP640:

QY6-0072 BK MP640.jpg

And for the iP4600:

QY6-0072 BK iP4600.jpg

Only a new print head will make the MP630 OK again. The type number for the print head is QY6-0072. If you want a new print head only buy it from a regular dealer of Canon spare parts. Do not buy an E-bay offer from a seller from the far East. These print heads are often used and defective print heads that have been cleaned to look like new and packaged in counterfeit aluminium bags and cardboard boxes.

Belle Reve

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP630
Thanks Peter . My nozzle check test from service mode looks almost exactly like your ip4600 . I forgot to post that too,i did that test long time ago ,i remember my dye black nozzle patern had stripes like that so now I know that it is defective . Strangely the mp640 has the best print head when all 3 of them ip4600,630 and 640 all use the same print head. I was looking at aliexpress for print head i figured out they are not new by reading feedback. I remember one customer said they sent him a print head that was still wet when arrived :) but it worked. Or maybe canon wash their print heads before shipping :)
Anyway thank you all for responses .

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Maybe if you switched to better quality inks and OEM cartridges, the quality may return and you prints would look far better than they do now..
Poor ink does effect the output quality...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Strangely the mp640 has the best print head when all 3 of them ip4600,630 and 640 all use the same print head.

My MP640 and iP4600 were both bought from thrift stores, so I know nothing of their usage history, what inks were used etc. I think the quality of the iP4600, MP630 and MP640 and their print heads is the same. With the best print head I meant the condition of the print heads in the two used printers. iP4600 is printer only and MP640 is similar to MP630 but with LAN and WLAN connectivity added.

Or maybe canon wash their print heads before shipping :)

Didn't the seller have time to dry the print head before packaging it? Genuine new Canon print heads are not wet in the bag. They have an orange protection cap, and when that cap is removed you might see a few drops of a transparent blue protection fluid.

I don't know your location, but if you tell in which country you live someone might recommend a supplier. Here is an offer from a British supplier, sadly they don't ship outside the UK.

I paid DKK 80 which is approximately USD 12 or EUR 11 for the MP640 at a thrift store. Don't pay too much, as it is a gamble buying from a thrift store but sometimes you win and get a good printer very cheaply. This could be an alternative to trying to find a new print head.

Last edited:

Belle Reve

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP630
I've been using good quality inks OCP - german inks which are even better than original from my experience ,at least i was more satisfied with them than the originals. I still have few barely used original cli521bk cartridges ,i bought them because i thought it may be the problem but no, i guess there is no help for this head.
I'm from Serbia ,no one here sells new print heads . The ones that do sell,they sell aliexpress version 100% only 2-2.5x more expensive... ofc stating that its new...
I payed this one 15 euros used, it has worked nicely for a year+-