Canon MP610 won't print black on CD/DVD's, only on paper!

andersven

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, (first post by the way) - I have a strange problem with my printer here.
I have printed at least hundred CDs or DVD's without any problem only to find out the other day; printing color photos on Cd's black seems pale or "brownish", NOT black at all!

Strange this is when I print the same object on paper it's all fine!

I have tried the "nozzle check" nothing wrong... (I cleaned it anyway)
I've tried to remove the cartridges and put them back again (based on a suggestion I got from someone on the net...)
I've been using the CD Label Pro, but yesterday I tried the "built-in"DVD-CD option that can scan and print on MP610 directly. Same problem.
I'm using Canon original ink black. Y, C and M I'm using a brand called KMP (never had a problem with them before...) So it makes no sense to me that the ink could be the problem when black is original Canon... and black is the problem here.

What bother me the most about this thing is that black appears just fine on paper but NOT on CD's.

Could someone please tell me what may be the problem here? IS there something I can do? If so I really really would appreciate it!!!

Kindly

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
A couple of questions:

- What type of printer do you have?
- Do we understand correctly that your Black is Canon and the YCM are a brand called KMP?
- If there's no problem with the ink, then it could be the CD's? Did you change from brand or something?

andersven

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon MP610.

Yes, that is correct, my two black cartridges are original Canon, YCM are a brand called KMP. Used the same combination many many MANY times without problems.

Yes, I have tried Sony and Verbatim disc. Same problem.

Isn't this strange? The one I thing hate about these problems is that I can't find any logical reasons for it...

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The problem is that CD printing is using your photo black (small black) and on paper the pigment black (big black). If your photo black is clogged, you will not notice it on normal paper, because it will use your pigment black.
Please print a nozzle check and see if your photo black row is clogged.

andersven

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
The problem is that CD printing is using your photo black (small black) and on paper the pigment black (big black). If your photo black is clogged, you will not notice it on normal paper, because it will use your pigment black.
Please print a nozzle check and see if your photo black row is clogged.
THANK YOU! You are absolutely right my friend! I misjudged the first nozzle check;( I did a "deep clean" and the problem is now solved!

You see, when I sent Canons expert-team some questions about this problem, they told me it must be the ink cartridges fault because I was using another brand than Canons own on YMC!

I just couldn't understand why this should be the problem when black was the problem (and I had black cartridges from Canon in my printer!

A big big thank you to all of you for helping me out!!!
You saved my day;) and spared me for using the insane expensive Canon-cartridges as well!

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I got the same printer and also do lots of cd printing. What seems like black on the screen, has some kind of washed out look to it when it's printed. It's not pitch black like text printed with the pigment ink. My photo black is not clogged, the nozzle check has always looked fine. BUT! I've always noticed the cli-8bk lasts a looong time. It doesn't need frequent refilling. So is it normal that photo black is generally used less than the other inks?

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
inkoholic said:
I got the same printer and also do lots of cd printing. What seems like black on the screen, has some kind of washed out look to it when it's printed. It's not pitch black like text printed with the pigment ink. My photo black is not clogged, the nozzle check has always looked fine. BUT! I've always noticed the cli-8bk lasts a looong time. It doesn't need frequent refilling. So is it normal that photo black is generally used less than the other inks?
Thats because I assume the CLI8-BK is the same as my PGBK is the PIGMENT INK TANK AND usually larger and ONLY USED FOR TEXT PRINTING whereas the photoblack is mostly used for photographs. I am using the MP620 with the 521carts. also my photo black lasts far longer than any of the other colours.

I also notice that my screen blacks are more intense than the output. This usually requires monitor calibration and printer profiling. way outside my level of expertise but there are plenty of posts on the subject on this forum.

miket100

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip7220
Hi, (first post by the way) - I have a strange problem with my printer here.
I have printed at least hundred CDs or DVD's without any problem only to find out the other day; printing color photos on Cd's black seems pale or "brownish", NOT black at all!

Strange this is when I print the same object on paper it's all fine!

I have tried the "nozzle check" nothing wrong... (I cleaned it anyway)
I've tried to remove the cartridges and put them back again (based on a suggestion I got from someone on the net...)
I've been using the CD Label Pro, but yesterday I tried the "built-in"DVD-CD option that can scan and print on MP610 directly. Same problem.
I'm using Canon original ink black. Y, C and M I'm using a brand called KMP (never had a problem with them before...) So it makes no sense to me that the ink could be the problem when black is original Canon... and black is the problem here.

What bother me the most about this thing is that black appears just fine on paper but NOT on CD's.

Could someone please tell me what may be the problem here? IS there something I can do? If so I really really would appreciate it!!!

Kindly
Now i know why 3 of my canon printers stopped printing black on cd's. in every case no amount of cleaning would clean the little black cartridge head. I tried everything. the only thing that would work was to buy a new head. On one of my printers i bought 3 heads to make it work. I finally threw it out. Deep cleaning black never worked. only buying new heads did. Canon ink made no difference. Soaking the head in alcohol over and over didn't work either.

miket100

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip7220
Now i know why 3 of my canon printers stopped printing black on cd's. in every case no amount of cleaning would clean the little black cartridge head. I tried everything. the only thing that would work was to buy a new head. On one of my printers i bought 3 heads to make it work. I finally threw it out. Deep cleaning black never worked. only buying new heads did. Canon ink made no difference. Soaking the head in alcohol over and over didn't work either.
Now how do you go about deep cleaning only the little black nozzle?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You can't. You can clean and deep clean either the pigment black or the dye CMYK group or both, You cannot clean a single dye colour.