Canon MP510 black cartridges - CLI-8Bk or PGI-5?

King Mustard

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
No printer yet
I believe CLI-8Bk and PGI-5 are both black cartridges and will both work in my Canon MP510.

If that is the case, what is the difference between them and which should I go for?

Thank you :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon CLI-8 cartridges contain DYE-based ink. Canon PGI-5 cartridges contain PIGMENT-based ink.

NEVER mix or exchange one for the other without a VERY good reason and knowledgable basis.

Use the explicit type of ink that the manufacturer states. There are aftermarket manufacturers of ink for both of these cartridge types, as both pre-filled and do-it-yourself refilling kits, which can be found on the internet. Search this forum for refilling info with ink from such businesses as MIS, HobbyColors, Inktec and others.

King Mustard

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
No printer yet
stratman said:
Canon CLI-8 cartridges contain DYE-based ink. Canon PGI-5 cartridges contain PIGMENT-based ink.

NEVER mix or exchange one for the other without a VERY good reason and knowledgable basis.

Use the explicit type of ink that the manufacturer states. There are aftermarket manufacturers of ink for both of these cartridge types, as both pre-filled and do-it-yourself refilling kits, which can be found on the internet. Search this forum for refilling info with ink from such businesses as MIS, HobbyColors, Inktec and others.
I ordered the CLI-5BK. Hope that is correct :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The physical size of the cartridges is different - the PGI-5 Pigment Black cartridge is larger and contains approximately 26 ml's of ink as compared to 13 ml's of Dye-based ink in all the CLI-8 cartridge. You would not be able to fit a PGI-5 cartridge where a CLI-8 is used.

Unless you confused which cartridge is which, you should have ordered the correct one and all should be well.

If you live in the USA, Office Max will give you $3 per empty Canon cartridge. You could also sell them on eBay or give them away to a refilling friend.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
The PGI 5BK cartridge is 21mm wide, the CLI-8BK is 14mm wide so they are not interchangeable.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The MP510 does NOT have a CLI-8 narrow dye cartridge, but uses only a PGI-5Bk wide pigment black cartridge. So the only option is the pigment black PGI-5BK. I hope you order the right one. The MP510 is therefore a real CMY-printer and on photopaper the darker area's and "black" are made by mixing CMY together to get something very dark. This process costs a lot of ink, when printing pictures with alot of dark area's. Models who have a CLI-8 black dye photo cartridge will take over in the darker area's to overcome this problem and thus can dramatically reduce the amount of ink needed to print the same picture as in the case with a CMY-printer, like the MP510 or the IP3300/IX4000.

King Mustard

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
No printer yet
King Mustard said:
stratman said:

I ordered the CLI-5BK. Hope that is correct :(
Sorry, I meant PGI-5KB.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
One more thing, the identifying alphanumerics of the cartridge are noted directly on the cartridged top. The cartridges identify themselves as PGI-5 or CLI-8 and what color it is as well.

Did you remove that plastic film on the cartridge top? Unless you are refilling then there is no reason to disturb any portion of it.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
What the consequences would be if I change those 2 a lot? What would I damage - the printhead?