Canon MP470 with error: 5100 and good cartridges

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
It's used. First time starting it. It shows everything is good, albeit low ink, sits for a bit then starts making some noise then produces this error and you can only turn it off. Without cartridges installed it just waits for you to put them in until it does anything else. What do you think is going on? I don't see any stray paper stuck in there anywhere.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I searched for a service manual for the MP470 but found none. The error code 5100 is common for many Canon printers, here is a clip from a service manual for another printer, click to enlarge:

MP495 error 5100.jpg

The "timing slit film" is also known as "timing strip". It is a transparent band with fine markings that are read by an optical sensor in the ink cartridge carriage. First check that the strip is properly placed, then wipe it with a soft tissue paper wetted with a window cleaner. Be careful not to tear the strip or the spring holding it.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
I searched for a service manual for the MP470 but found none. The error code 5100 is common for many Canon printers, here is a clip from a service manual for another printer, click to enlarge:

View attachment 14008

The "timing slit film" is also known as "timing strip". It is a transparent band with fine markings that are read by an optical sensor in the ink cartridge carriage. First check that the strip is properly placed, then wipe it with a soft tissue paper wetted with a window cleaner. Be careful not to tear the strip or the spring holding it.
Thanks for looking into. I did too and caught that possible solution but it didn't work. Mind you I didn't really get at it as it's deep in there. I'll try again later and maybe see if it's easy enough to open it up....