Canon MP140 won't print blue!

ims21

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all

New member here.

I have a cannon MP140 and have had some good use from it. I refill my own cartridges and have never had a problem until now.

Following the last refill, it will not now print blue. It will print pink instead! I haven't put the wrong colour in the wrong chamber either!

I have done the usual head clean and deep clean to no avail. I have also wiped the nozzles on the bottom of the cartridge with gin. When the cartridge is pressed lightly against some paper towel I do get a red, blue and yellow line so it seems that there is blue ink at the point of exit of the nozzle. But as I said, when in the printer and I print a blue test rectangle, it comes out pink.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the problem might be please?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

ims

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Blue is made by mixing magenta and cyan, so your cyan is not printing even if it is present in the "footprint" from the cartridge.

This could be due to an electrical fault in the tri-color cartridge or it could be caused by dirty contact points on the cartridge or dirty contact springs in the printer. Try cleaning the contact points and contact springs with a Q-tip moistened with isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is much better for cleaning than gin which might leave some unknown residue.

If this cleaning fails to bring back cyan, then a new tri-color cartridge might help. If a new cartridge doesn't help either, I think the printer has failed.

I think the cartridges in your printer are similar to the HP 56/57 family of cartridges, and these HP cartridges can only be refilled a few times before they fail, so hopefully a new tri-color cartridge will cure your printer if contact cleaning fails.

Good luck with troubleshooting
Peter.

ims21

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Excellent

Thanks for the reply....I'll give a go and see what happens

Regards

ims