Canon MP 270 series Printer

Mike from South Oz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my first post on this forum. Thank you in advance!

This printer has stopped printing black BUT, both Print Head Alignment and the Nozzle check provide very good output in all"colours" including black. Both ink tanks are 3/4 full and use the correct Canon inks.
In an effort to find a work around, I ihave tried the printer on other PCs - same result always using Windows 7. Would a recent Windows update be the cause I wonder?
This printer is about 2 years and has performed well. Only regular Canon inks have been used, although this time I opted for the larger size (Pixma 512 and 513).
Printer appears to "read" incoming item, sets itself, loads paper and then fairly quickly passes it through untouched.
Scanning function is still ok. Only other thing I can think of is calibration. I recently colour calibrated my screen and I have been using the recommended paper profile settings for my photographs (but then only with the desktop).

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

y3kcjd5

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a printer spooling issue (software problem), though I can't say what the cause might be. How big are these images you're trying to print? Are you printing ones that have printed correctly before, or new images? If the latter, would these new images happen to be larger than the ones you printed before? What program are you printing from (e.g. the integrated Windows 7 printing program)? I recall encountering similar behavior when I tried to print large images from an XP computer when my Win7 machine was out of order.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Certainly sounds like a software problem. Particularly as you say you have a full nozzle check with the black printing OK. Have you tried system restore on your computer? that would settle the possible update corruption.

If you try to print a plain text document does that work? does selecting greyscale in the printer settings produce anything.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would suggest getting another black cartridge and see if that would print first before messing around with any drivers or software.

It is possible that you may have a duff black cartridge or a severe air blockage in it
and only another cartridge will tell one way or the other..

Mike from South Oz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you all for your very informative replies.

However!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is my face red? Just checked the cartridge - tape was still on!!!!
A very senior moment! Will try to do better next time.

all the best,

Mike

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Mike from South Oz said:
Thank you all for your very informative replies.

However!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is my face red? Just checked the cartridge - tape was still on!!!!
A very senior moment! Will try to do better next time.

all the best,

Mike
Thanks Mike for coming back and admitting to your embarrassing moment. :somad (We all have them)
I bet it gave you a good laugh dough.. :lol: