Canon MG7150 print head alignment issue

elepassion

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7150
Hi to all,
my printer has a black alignment problem.
Black vertical lines don't look straight; sometimes they duplicate themselves. This problem does not occur with other colors (cyan, magenta, yellow).

I tried "self-aligning head", "manual aligning head" but nothing to do.
I also replaced the print head with a new one and I change all ink tanks, but the problem is still there.
My printer has just about 150 prints.

Anyone with same issue? Any idea?

In attached a few scans: a print pattern, a black grid, a yellow grid, a magenta grid and a cyan grid.

print pattern
PGBK
black
cyan
yellow
magenta

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, elepassion.

Good graphics. Nice job including a nozzle check, though a single image scanned and cropped so we can see the entire nozzle check is preferrable.

Irreparable Pigment Black nozzle warping.

The nozzles heat up ink before it bubbles out onto the page. The ink serves to cool the heat in the nozzles. The train tracks are thought to be from poor cooling, most often seen with aftermarket inks.

Solutions:
  • Install new print head
  • Workaround - use a Photo Paper setting instead of Plain Paper. Plain Paper uses Pigment Black. Photo Paper setting uses the Dye-based colors to make a composite black.

Last edited:

elepassion

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7150
Hi stratman, thanks for your quick reply!
I added hi res scans in my first message.

Thank you for your explanation, I didn't know the heating function of the nozzles. No matter if I cannot have my printer working again, I learned something :)
However I already installed a brand new print head, but the issue is still there! (nothing changed replacing the print head).

What is wrong?

elepassion

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7150
Aliexpress. I know, maybe it's not the best, but installing the "new" head nothing changed (no better, no worst, exactly the same)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
All print heads originating from China are suspect of being cleaned up used ones +/- dressed up in counterfeit mylar bags and boxes. They have a high failure rate.

People have told me Aliexpress has a good policy on purchases. Look into getting your money back.

Generally recommend buying print heads from Canon or Canon authorized sellers.

elepassion

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG7150
I knew chinese print heads are not new.
But it's very strange my printer fails in the same way before and after print head replacement.
Ok, chinese print heads could be defective, but it's very very unlikely two print heads fail in the same way.
I suspect there is something else wrong in my printer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I suspect there is something else wrong in my printer
The only thing wrong with your printer is the PEBKAC using it, Canon print heads are known to fail in exactly the same way when using 3rd party inks, and if you buy two or three more they would have exactly the same defect, Buy only from Authorised distributors and switch OEM ink.

Save on ink.. Pay on print heads..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
But it's very strange
It is strange. It's also warmed garbage from China. Anything can happen.

If the two solutions I suggested are not for you then time for Solution #3: New Printer.