Canon MG6450 PGBK ink test same faulty strip

celematy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6450
So I recently printed a load of stuff on my canon, had a few jams but nothing major, but now when i'm trying to print, my PGBK ink is always streaky in the same pattern, like so.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've cleaned, deep cleaned, cleaned the rollers and the bottom tray but its always the same exact pattern. Has my nozzle head been damaged by a jam maybe? everything else is completely fine, just this one.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe the problem is caused by ink starvation, but it is not quite clear to me what your printer is doing wrong, so could you please upload scans or photos of a nozzle check and a text document, for instance the "Windows Printer Test Page" ?

celematy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6450
Image below;
The streak where it hasn't printed on PGBK is what I'm talking about. Ink is half full, so its not a problem with that. All other inks are fine too.
0d67bbbb40.jpg

note:
these were printed after cleaning different parts of the printer, doing deep cleaning etc, and I had the exact same result each time.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes this is ink starvation. It can be caused by the ink cartridge and/or the print head. So what kind of ink cartridges and ink are you using? New or refilled? Brand of cartridges? And in case of refilling also the brand of ink and method used for refilling? CIS systems don't work well with Canon printers and can cause a lot of problems with ink starvation or ink flooding.

If you are using anything other than new, never refilled Canon OEM cartridges, I suggest to try using a new Canon OEM cartridge as a test tool.

If the new OEM cartridge prints OK you know the problem is in your PGBK cartridge. If the new OEM cartridge makes no difference, the problem is in the print head. It could be caused by a clogged ink inlet screen or clogged ink passages in the upper part of the print head. If the rubber gasket sealing the ink inlet is damaged or dirty it can also cause problems, so check that the gasket and its surroundings are clean and the gasket can compress and expand freely and is not damaged.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My Money is on poor ink flow whether it be from CISS, compatible or OEM refilled cartridges, running cleaning cycles or test prints wont solve or cure your print quality blues, in fact they can only make the problem worse and may lead to a damaged print head. (Nozzle check excepted)

You need to take a good look at the PGBK cartridge, or replace it with another known good or even new one, paper jams don’t normally cause ink starvation to occur so something else has cause this issue, unless your using CISS system.

celematy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6450
I use new ones, refilling is too much of a faff and i get it reimbursed anyway. I'm not sure how to check anything other than the ink cartridge, but I tried a spare and there was no change. I've got warranty on it so I'll just ask them to fix it for me. thanks for the help!