Canon MG6320 and similar......unprecedented feature

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've been using the MG6320 creating ICC profiles for this printer.
To my surprise I did not realize that there was a feature lurking inside the driver that I never expected before.
That feature is the ability of the print driver itself to provide color management with 3rd party ICC profiles directly. The first time I had seen this was with Canon was with the Pro-100. I had never seen this before in letter sized and A4 printers before....NEVER. Only on Epson wider carriage machines before Canon finally offered this on the Pro-100 and now on this desktop narrow carriage model.

Well it is in the MG6320 ( 6 tank with gray ink) I'm pretty certain that it also exists on similar European machines and higher specified All in Ones as well.

My MG5420 which uses the same carts ( 250/251 , 5 tank) does not allow this. I will have to update the driver and see if Canon has added it in.

The significance of this is that ANYONE can use ICC profiles and get superb results without going through the likes of Photoshop etc. No need for high end software.

The other aspect is that if you get an ICC profile for plain paper, you can print documents with ICC profiles!!!!! This I have done and it works!

These 250/251 printers are actually very good except that it displays some granularity in mid greys where the Pro-100 is smooth. Other than that, they will print far better in quality than what you would expect for an ALl in One. For the small addition in cost for the 6 tank versus the 5 tank version, this feature is worth it if you desire a very capable All in One printer...possibly the best Photo Quality All in One now offered...expecially with this feature.

Here are the profiles for those interested. The method to use these on the 6 tank machines are IDENTICAL to the Pro-100.

http://www.precisioncolors.com/C6EICC.html

The above ICC profiles took a continuous run of 14 hours of processing on a 3.6 GHz AMD PhenomII X4 @3.6Ghz!

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing, much appreciated. Your cli221/225 ICC profile was superior to the one I had custom made for my MG6120. I could have saved some money if I had known that your was so darn accurate for the IS ink. Maybe be a bit off topic but do the new 521 cartridges refillable and resettable like the cli221s? Chip resetter for 521 available yet ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
CLI-521 is the European version of the North American CLI-221 cartridge. I think you mean CLI-251? I think the chips for these cartridges are of the single use variety, making reset impossible; if they are not, I think a resetter would have been available by now.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, I meant CLI-251/551. It is too bad these chips are not resettable. Better collect the older Canon then.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The 250/251 aftermarket carts are now with available with autoreset chips that act like the ARCs for EPSON. They do not forget the ink level and do not reset with a power cycle. As a result they are eminently more useful than the older ARCs for Canon. They only reset when the chip is driven to empty by the printer, then removal, and replacement will cause a reset.

I've been using them to test them and they are proving to be functional as expected and report out of ink etc properly.

I will post them up this week. Some aftermarkets don't work so well on photo printing but I finally found some that worked well and the chips reset properly.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The 250/251 aftermarket carts are now with available with autoreset chips that act like the ARCs for EPSON. They do not forget the ink level and do not reset with a power cycle. As a result they are eminently more useful than the older ARCs for Canon. They only reset when the chip is driven to empty by the printer, then removal, and replacement will cause a reset.
That is nice news. :clap

Can the chips be transferred to OEM Canon cartridges?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
In the case of these 250/251 cartridges the compatibles are the friendly ones (Ironically) and the OEM cartridges with their paper chips are the rogue ones, their just rubbish and can’t be changed. .

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The situation is similar to that of Epson printers. Epson OEM cartridges are next to impossible to refill, so refillers need compatible cartridges. The Epson users have tested a lot of compatibles with ARC chips and found those that can be recommended. So it is a good thing @mikling is now doing this testing with compatible cartridges for the new Canon printers. :thumbsup

I hope the ARC chips can be transferred to the Canon OEM cartridges. You will then have the best from two worlds.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I will try that out next. However, the Canon printers in question are shipped with reduced capacity "starter" or standard carts not the XL. The compatibles are XL. That being the case, you'd really want to switch to Canon XL carts which are pricey...Navigating the options maybe it is better to use the compatible at first and when those no longer work, then switch chips. However, the compatibles are doing nicely so far.