Canon MG5420 - Severly Misalign with Streak. *** Please help.

LouisC89

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma 5420
After finished my 1st set of genuine Canon Ink, I replaced the ink with off-brand refillable ink cartridges.
I had been using these refillable for awhile then there begin to print streak in my prints. I decided to align the print heads. My printer no longer to print with anymore. Streaks in print begin to appear. It no longer print in straight black lines (Notice PGBLK). I tried auto and manual alignment but failed.

I research on the net and thinking my print head is clogged since my attempt on alignment, deep print head cleaning was failed. I took out the print head and wash it manually. Which it didn't solved anything. Probably making it worst.

Recently, I purchased full set of Canon genuine ink. I was hoping if using off brand might caused the problem. However, it reoccur the same problem (See Set#2 Photo) After washing the printhead, I had made it worst.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Alignment Problem #1)
SJj93OK.jpg

5iOyZw2.jpg

reZteEV.jpg

kkqoaeW.jpg

Vo3RLDd.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo Set #2
7k4EI9L.jpg

mGepQ4H.jpg

9BlFqK3.jpg

oj3D9CH.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Louis and welcome, and now for the bad news, your print head has suffered severely from lack of ink while trying to print using the compatible cartridges, resulting in the poor print quality and nozzle check.

Now you might have been able to save the head by cleaning it, but without knowing how to carry out the procedure properly first, you have managed to put it beyond all repair, because I reckon you failed to thoroughly dry the head before reinstalling it again.

Print head alignments are completely useless when you have poor quality output and test prints also make the problem worse, you should only print nozzle checks until you can resolve the issue.

It maybe cheaper to buy another printer than to source a separate print head elsewhere, at least that way you can still use the set of OEM cartridges, sorry..

LouisC89

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma 5420
I thoroughly dry the print head overnight for two night before putting it back.