Canon MG5350 Newbie "Durchstich" refill method.

aussiedean

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post for me and to be honest new at refilling modern printer cartridges as well. Did it years ago when there were no chips on printers and was quite easy but like most things these days technology moves at a fast rate.

Anyway as above I have a fairly new Canon MG5350 which I'm interested in refilling myself. Have had my cartridges refilled and reset at a local shop which is ok but probably going to work out cheaper in the long run to do it myself.
From what I have read in the forums the preferred method is the german way but a few questions first if I could.

From reading an articule from "pharmacist" I'm thinking the 525 and 526 catridges are done the same way ... please correct me if I'm wrong. Can't seem to find any other info in relation to these catridges. Is the hole drilled in the same place for the syringe and to get the syringe into the ink chamber is there a hole you have to find to get in there?

I recently purchased a Redsetter chip resetter which has worked well and I have refilled two of my cartridges from the existing hole in the top that the shop had already drilled, but as mentioned wanted to try the german method.
From Sudhaus in germany I have purchased a kit which has syringes inks etc and was now looking at getting some of their clear cartidges and putting my chips on them to see how they go.

Also when removing a cartridge ..resetting and refilling what is the time frame before it can go back into the printer using the german method, I have read some say 1/2 hour some say overnight ..so bit confused there. I would be more concerned with the print head drying out if left to long.

Anyway if anyone has any more info or recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Dean :)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
The others here can answer your main questions as I have no knowledge about your cartridges but I normally refill my cartridges CLI8 & put them straight back into the printer. Since using the German method I never get any leaks or excess ink coming out of the outlet. I fill the cart so it is full but I don't let hardly any go into the sponge area as it's always saturated with ink anyway.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
aussiedean said:
Anyway as above I have a fairly new Canon MG5350 which I'm interested in refilling myself.
Your printer uses the all opaque 525/526 cartridges. If you want to refill using the Durchstich method then the best thing to do is obtain a complete set of 520/521 cartridges. This model cartridge has a transparent window on the spongeless side of the cartridge that allows you to visualize refill ink levels.

OEM Canon cartridges are the smartest way to go, though some people have found success with aftermarket cartridges. You will never go wrong with an OEM cartridge. You might get leaks or ink starvation during printing with an aftermarket cartridge.

You will need to swap chips from your 525/526 cartridges onto the 520/521 cartrisdges if you decide to go this route. See the procedure here .

The procedure to refill the 520/521 cartridges using the Durchstich method is here . One further tip is to make the hole in between the ">PP<" on the bottom side of the sponged compartment of the cartridge. Anywhere in one of the "P's" is good.

Reset your cartridge(s) before you refill them in order to decrease risk of a mess.

It is best to keep the print head occupied with cartridges or else you tempt dried ink and a clog. While someone here reported a problem after one-half hour of the cartridges being out of the printer, the reports of this seem few and far between. I have never experienced a problem if the cartridge(s) are out for one-half hour. Once you get used to refilling you may be able to do all the cartridges in 15 minutes or less. Alternatively, you could purchase two sets of 520/521 cartridges and keep a filled set ready to go, swapping out the low/empty cartridges quickly. This way you can leisurely refill at your convenience. The best advice is return cartridges to the print head ASAP, the quicker the better.

Note: Some people open the printer lid, take out the cartridges and turn off the power so that the print head remains in the center for as long as they require. Once refilled, they return the cartridges to the print head and power on the printer. In the service manual for my printer there is a maintenance cycle (ink purging) every time you remove a cartridge - so some people refill/replace all the cartridges at one time to cut down on wasted purged ink. Also, there is a maintenance cycle for a print head that is returned to the resting place over the purge pads on the far right-side of the printer WITHOUT the cartridges in the print head. This could be why some people turn off the power while refilling. I keep the power on and if the print head returns to its parking spot I just lower and raise the lid again and the print head comes back to the center for me to re-insert the cartridges into. Ink loss due to maintenance cycles is not too painful since good quality refill ink is much less expensive than OEM Canon.

aussiedean

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions there, I'm reading as much as I can before I start refilling the german way so thanks for the input. Not sure if anyone has purchased these clear cartridges from Sudhaus in Germany but I was interested in those in particular. Price with postage seems quite reasonable. Have purchased the ink already and syringes.

http://www.patronenhandel.de/shop/e...ompatibel-mit-ohne-Chip/kompatibel-ohne-Chip1

Thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Those cartridges are transparent, which would be advantageous for refilling since you can easily see the the level of ink. I don't know the quality, performance or durability of these cartridges for refilling. If you do use them for refilling, post your experiences over the coming months/years. :)

aussiedean

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well been a while but just reporting that the German carts never arrived and is currently in dispute with Paypal. Really annoying thing is that I never recieved any emails to say they had actually left Germany. :(

Really disapointed that a company like that doesn't respond in any way.

Anyway looking at other options now so are Octoinkjet the only other option for clear carts ie http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Canon-PGI%2d520-EMPTY-Cartridge.html

Would prefer something that I could reuse my chips. Anyway appreciate your input

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Given that I'm assuming you're in the land of Oz, you might be better looking around for a recycler closer to home that can give you the empty carts, or simply bite the bullet and get some new 520/521 carts and refill those.

Might be a better use of your hard earned pennies... Not that I'd turn down the custom :)

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You can refill opaque cartridges with the German method. You have two ways of judging the liquid level. (1) Weight. (2) You know where the tip of the needle is, and you can tip the cartridge to vary the liquid level. If you draw back on the syringe, you will get either air or liquid, and that tells you whether the tip is above or below the top of the liquid.

aussiedean

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well just when I had all but given up, the German carts arrived. Maybe something to do with Paypal getting involved. Anyway will post some pics soon and let you know what I think.

aussiedean

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
P1010488.jpg

P1010491.jpg

P1010493.jpg

P1010496.jpg