canon mg5250 refillable cartridges

superredeye

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all , after years of service my epson r360 with ciss has died ,, so i purchased a canon mg5250 to replace it..
im not keen on using another ciss system on this one as the ribbon ink feed looks like it might possibly get in the way, so ive decided to go down the refillable cartridges road..
just need a point in the right direction for best ones to go for , so far ive been looking at at a refillable kit from "cityinkexpress" which consists of 500ml of ink , 5 arc cartridges and syringes to fill them up..they also sell on ebay under the username "fotorite"
sorry but i cant post links to what im looking at as im a new member..
would this be a good kit to use or should i stay away from this type of kit for whatever reason ?.
ive also noticed some of these kits for my printer come with what looks like rubber washers, anyone know what for ?
thanks all,
lee

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Congratulations on your choice of printer (I.E. Canon) and yes refilling is a better way to go with your printer rather than a CISS.

Cityinkexpress are very good to deal with and have some good compatible cartridges for refilling however
the consensus on this forum is to steer guys away from refilling compatibles and only use OEM cartridges instead.

There are lots of reasons that I can give you for only refilling OEM cartridges instead of using compatibles
but the best one is that OEMs work better that all the rest no question.

Now the cartridges on your printer are opaque and are not that easy to learn how to refill
but once you get the hang of it its a breeze.

There is however an alternative and that is to use 521 / 520 see through cartridges in place of your opaque cartridges
and just switch the chips on them so as your printer will accept them.. :)

superredeye

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for your relply.
So are you saying i could use the see through cartridges in the kit i mentioned and swap the chips from my original cartridges and use a chip resetter ? Or are there original see through cartridges availible .
Is the main idea of using my original chips so i can keep the ink monitering function ? Or will the printer have issues recognizing the arc chips..
Are the chips easily swapped over ?
Ever so sorry for all the questions but im really a bit lost as to what i need to get..
Thanks again in advance..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
superredeye said:
Thanks for your relply.
So are you saying i could use the see through cartridges in the kit i mentioned
No, what I was advising you to do was in fact not to use the compatible cartridges in the kit,
Epson printers work better with compatible cartridges but Canon printers dont.
Or are there original see through cartridges availible .
But if you were to buy new or empty OEM 520/521 cartridges and swap the chip
from your existing opaque 525/526 cartridges to these new ones.
Is the main idea of using my original chips so i can keep the ink monitering function
Yes your OEM chips will give you perfect ink monitoring it would be like fitting a brand new OEM cartridge every time.
Or will the printer have issues recognizing the arc chips..
Your printer wont have issues with ARC chips but they are not as accrete as OEM chips at reporting ink levels
plus they will reset your ink to register full each time you turn on your printer regardless of ink left inside the cartridge.
and swap the chips from my original cartridges and use a chip resetter ?
Are the chips easily swapped over ?
The chips are extremely easy to swap; here is a link on how its done. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6360

Ever so sorry for all the questions but im really a bit lost as to what i need to get..
Thanks again in advance.
Doesnt worry about asking to many questions thats what were here for,
the better you understand how to refill the better you can then go on and print without problems? :)

superredeye

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok ..
So my to get list is .
1. Oem 520/521 empty cartridges
2. Chip resetter.
3. Ink and filling syringes.

So ive searched for the empty 521/520 clear oem carts but cant find them, any links for what i need (uk site).
How do i go about refilling the oem carts as they are obvioisly not really made for refilling ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
superredeye said:
Ok ..
So my to get list is .
1. Oem 520/521 empty cartridges
2. Chip resetter.
3. Ink and filling syringes.

So ive searched for the empty 521/520 clear oem carts but cant find them, any links for what i need (uk site).
How do i go about refilling the oem carts as they are obvioisly not really made for refilling ?
You can in fact get all of you supplies from one supplier in the UK at www.octoink.co.uk/

They have just about everything youll need to get started and beyond including empty OEM cartridges
and tutorials on both refilling methods, which also can also found on this forum.

On the subject of refilling there are currently two popular ways to refill the 520.521 cartridges,
both are extremely easy to master so long as you dont try any crazy shortcuts.

There is the traditional top fill method and the German fill method and both these methods have been tried
and tested and work for 98% of all Nifty members, you can choose which one suit you best..:)

superredeye

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks to all for giving right pointers, i dont think ive ever been on a forum that has such friendly , helpfull people..
Im now pretty sure of what i need to do/get , will report back when im set up and ready for my first refil.

superredeye

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok guys , i have another final question (i hope) before i give it a go.
Do the 521 /520 carts have the little ball blocking the top fill method or was it other carts that had the blocking ball

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
superredeye said:
Ok guys , i have another final question (i hope) before i give it a go.
Do the 521 /520 carts have the little ball blocking the top fill method or was it other carts that had the blocking ball
They all pretty much have the same ball (with the exception of the PGI-9/7's)

You can find a bit more info' on where they are, and one suggestion on how to remove them in the Top-fill guide provided as a link from this page:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/questions/103/
(see bottom of page for links under "Attachments").

superredeye

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Once again im back with a few more questions :)
Ive bought some used 520/521 cartridges from ebay and have heard people talking about cleaning/ purging the carts before refilling ?? Best way and how to guys if you dont mind ?
Also when refilling the carts how much should i fill up the cartridges ?