Canon MG5250 prints different size between standard and photo quality why?

Davebullock

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5250
Hi,
I use my MG5250 to print artwork for the manufacture of printed circuit boards.
Clearly the scale of the printout is very critical.
I normally print test prints to make sure everything looks correct by selecting:- STANDARD print quality , plain paper. and hit OK
The prints come out the correct size and the components fit.
However
When I now wish to print the artwork on my expensive gel coated acetate (ready to contact UV expose the pcb) I find that the print size has changed very slightly, meaning the components DONT fit!
I am sure this has happened recently as I have made dozens of pcb's using this printer in the past with no size issues.
So what has changed, and how do I correct the issue.
Is there a separate size/scale setting for standard and photo quality printing?

In my CAD package I can re-scale the print by multiplying the output by 0.995 but it's a pain.
This is how small the difference is, but trying to get a 40 pin IC in a board that has even this small error is impossible.
What has changed in my printer.
Please help
Thanks
Dave

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you accidentally have checked borderless printing in the driver settings? This will enlarge the image slightly.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The following image is from my Maxify, but there should be something similar within the settings of your printer.

Make sure Page Size and Page Layout are appropriate.

Also, checking or not checking the "Automatically reduce large documents..." may affect dimensions of the image on the page.

Just curious -- is the image derived from scanning something? Sometimes slight alterations in dimensions can occur from the scanning process.

If no solution can be found within the printer's own setting then this may be a setting in whatever app you are using to print or the Canon printer drivers need to be unistalled and re-installed.

Printing Preferences.jpg

Davebullock

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5250
Could you accidentally have checked borderless printing in the driver settings? This will enlarge the image slightly.

Peter
**YOU ARE A STAR**
I had no idea this happens and it must have got changed when printing some family photographs for my wife's ancestry file.
You have saved me a lot of wasted acetates and pcb material.
Thank you so much :)
Dave