Canon Megatank : Resetting waste counter - Help needed (G5000 - G7000 series)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hey folks... it's been a hot minute (read: months!) since my last confession/post and I could use the collective brain trusts help in seeing if there's a way to reset the waste counter via the control panel on these Canon megatank printers.

Now, I should note that I have successfully identified the way to do this on Canon G1000 through G4000 series printers but when I try to do the same thing on the G6000 (a G6050 model to be specific) I appear to be able to get the printer into service mode (see below) but when I attempt to do any of the button presses that work with the earlier models the printer just smiles knowingly at me, throws out a few whirrs and clicks... as if it's going to work and then the cheeky swine, just shuts down.

My suspicion is that Canon have made it so that the service app/utility is needed to complete any further functions but I was hoping that someone might have some brain wave/fart that pointed to a useful button press combo that might at least print out a diagnostic sheet.

For reference the process I've used to get into service mode is:
  1. Printer powered off
  2. Press and hold the power button
  3. Press and release the "stop" button 5 or 6 times (it doesn't seem to care which)
The printer then puts up the "black" characterless screen as normal.

Thoughts, ideas, moments of sheer ruddy inspiration? :bow:hugs

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
It is a pity the first generation of ecotank and megatank printers suffered from the same illness as the older cartridge based printers: no user replaceable waste ink tanks. Many people thought those printers were money savers but were inconveniently surprised after a few years of intensive usage the printer cease to function due to the saturated ink waste pad making the total cost of ownership taking into account the hugely higher initial purchase price (often 3 times the price compared to the cartridge based equivalent) similar to buying to buying a cartridge based model that cost a multitude cheaper but with much higher running costs. The reason I bought the much cheaper Epson WF7840 AIO printer instead of the 3 times more expensive ET16600 model with built-in Ciss tanks. For the price difference you can buy a whole arsenal of refillable cartridges resetters for both the carts and waste ink tanks, many liters of good quality pigment ink lasting a lifetime or even a ciss system and still save hundreds of euros or dollars. The only cost is time for refilling and cleaning the syringes from time to time.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
@pharmacist as you can imagine I agree wholeheartedly.

It's beyond frustrating though that Canon continue to create an artificial end of life scenario with their consumables policy on printheads. Granted the waste ink pad limits automatically reduce the potential market for replacements but had they the balls to actually keep the tooling and run them in the face of the work I and others are doing it would surely result a significant reduction in unnecessary waste.

Anyway, in other news, my developer contact for WICReset pulled the rabbit out of the hat with some help from me and we're now back up and running again.

The videos for the G6050 (and G6020 + other G6000 series) are now up on YouTube here: