Canon Maxify MB5350 - error 5206

Neuer-Fernseher

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify MB5350
Hello, this is my thirst thread and I am excited if someone can help me.
I have got for zero money a Canon Maxify MB5350 - error 5206 as I wanted to use the double sided scanner function.
The person I got it from told me that it is most likely broken but I can try.
Now reading for the last two days multiple forums and watching videos I am at the end with my ideas.

But lets explain everyting in an order:
1) when I turn it on I get immideately the error 5206. Unfortunately there is no explaination what to do at this error than to contact the canon service center.
2) I unmounted the printing head and cleaned everything. It was very dirty and I thought that's it. No. When I turned it on again the same error.
3) Also cleaning the contacts with alcohol and cleaning the pipes of the printing head with alcohol did not show any positive effect.
4) I noticed that once the printer is turned on and shows the error code 5206 the orange led blinks 8 times which would indicate that the waste inc tank is full.
I am now not sure if I do have two errors or only one and how I could dismantle the printer that I can a) check the pads and b) replace if necessary. I could not find an replacement guideline for this device.
5) I also tried to work with the Canon Service tool but I do get the error 006. Again here I am not sure if this happens because of the two other errors or because something else is wrong.
I am very willing to learn an do more but I don't want to spend money on a new printing head which costs close to 100,- € and new ink if I get a new one (smaller version - nearly same output) for 160,- €.
6) due to the fact that I got it second hand there was no inc and I also wonder if this has an impact as well.

I would be very happy if someone could answer my questions as I have spent already two nights and half a day to get this thing working again.
Thank you very much.
Christoph

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Neuer-Fernseher, the most likely cause is a bad chip on one or more of the carts, first try removing all the carts and power off and on again and see if the error clears or changes, don’t use the Service Tool again, it won’t work on this model printer but it can still damage the printer.

If the waste ink is full just get another printer, because it’s not serviceable by you, but you may still need to spend some money on it, if it’s only for a set of cheap compatible cart, but you maybe be luck because sometimes reinserting the original carts can also clear the error.

If the error clears the printer is going to do a huge cleaning cycle and it will take time for it to return to normal so you’ll have to be patient, this is because you removed the print head and you shouldn’t have done that.. report back your progress..
P.S. I forgot to mention, Welcome to the forum... :thumbsup

Neuer-Fernseher

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify MB5350
Dear "the hat", your explanation just shows me that I won't be able to service this device without spending 60% of a new one. Counting the additional time needed plus finding cheap replacement parts which don't guarantee it will work leave just too much questions if I am successful at the end of the day. I will stop my efforts here but want to say thank you very much.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Most probably it is the "ink absorber almost full".
But you could have bypassed it temporarily with the Resume/Cancel button.

Since you can't print anything, could you ask the previous owner how many pages he has printed ?
Forum readers would be interested.

Neuer-Fernseher

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify MB5350
Hi Plombian, at the moment I can't do anything anymore. I just continiously get the error 5206. He said he does not know but mentioned that it was used heavily. I just found a video of a similar model that explains where to find the ink absorber. I will try that tomorrow. In the meanwhile I am happy about more tipps.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I just found a video of a similar model that explains where to find the ink absorber.
Please post the link to the video. I am sure more than I would like to see it. Thanks.

Neuer-Fernseher

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Maxify MB5350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2rDbE2QJg
Does anyone know how much I have to dismantle in order to get to the ink pads of the Maxify MB5350? I think I have located them but they seem to be very good covered by the plastic frame and somehow boxed. Not open. That means I have to either open it from the top or bottom and than from the side in order to get inside. Help appriicated-

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2rDbE2QJg
Does anyone know how much I have to dismantle in order to get to the ink pads of the Maxify MB5350?
I've opened my new Maxify printer to locate the ink waste tank, and the video that you've posted is useless, the waste ink tank is on the left side of the Maxify, and the waste ink counter can’t be reset so emptying this tank gives no benefits.

I turned the printer upside down and removed the casing from both sides and the back, there are a mutable of screws and parts to remove and the tank is easily lifted out to be cleaned, but this work is fruitless without FIRST been able to reset the waste ink counter.. (That's impossible)

Just buy a new printer and save all the hassle of this pointless venture, and further I wouldn’t recommend anyone to turn their used printer upside down because the waste ink will spill out all over the insides.. Ouch…

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Enjoyed the quick video but that is not a MB Maxify printer but an MG model. Different models may have vastly different arrangements which The Hat has discovered.

Unfortunately, there is no way to override or reset the waste ink counter in a Maxify, AFAIK. The waste ink counter will reach 100%, an error message will appear and you either take the printer in for Canon Service (costly) or get a new printer (costly but best choice).

Like on Star Trek with the Borg, resistance is futile.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I wouldn’t recommend anyone to turn their used printer upside down because the waste ink will spill out all over the insides.. Ouch…
You are the Curious George! (one of my favorite books when I was a wee child)