Canon Maxify MB5120 carts and inks

Cedar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, so hoping for a supplier who is also in Canada. Looking for refillable cartridges and inks for the MB5120. Suggestions....? Also, anybody know if the Precision Colors inks for the PGI-1200 will work in the MB5120?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
AFAIK all Maxify printers use the same printhead and ink. No problems using ink for PGI-1200 carts in your MB5120.
If you want to be 100% sure, ask forum member @mikling, who is the owner of Precision Colors.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
As @Artur5 said, check out Precision Colors in Canada. The owner is forum member mikling. While the forum consensus is to use OEM Canon cartridges whenever possible, PC sells a refill kit that includes aftermarket cartridges, ARC chips and ink - everything you'll need.

If you want to use OEM Canon cartridges then obtain ARC chips, like from Aliexpress.

Read @palombian 's fantastic primer on refilling the Maxify. Recommend you read to the end of the thread, or all the thread, in case there are any further tips.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/my-maxify-5350-is-on-refill-ink.11871/page-32#post-122155

I have the MB5120 and love it!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hello Stratman
I have now become skeptical of ALL aftermarket vendors ( especially those on Ali something) when it comes to electronic chips as well as chipless software.
Recent experiences and the latest when someone reported to them that the x8x series was resettable or ARC illustrates the point completely. Obviously the person wanting the chips wants to hear the great things and the answer is/was folded into that.
Unless I have direct experience with a situation then I would rather not get in the middle and carry it. In a sense I am happy that chips are no longer resettable. It makes life easier. I specialize in inks but not electronic software and chips...good luck finding a vendor that does know chips and firmware inside out to take care of all issues !

I also have experiences that dates back 8 years on Epsons. The darn firmware in the chips despite them having revision numbers on them differed as they carried the same version number then they did not when tested.
Another example, NA carried different firmware for the Artisan 730 than in EU. Asia has stopped making the correct chips for the NA versions of the Artisan 730. Yet the Asian vendors insist that the chips they carry work but they don't. I had to grab spare chips that dated back years to take care of a situation. Lucky I had some.

I don't like being held responsible for electronics that no longer works because the vendor Epson or including Canon perhaps updates the firmware and somehow I am supposed to take care of the mfr actions.

Like I said once before, firmware and chips is becoming HELL. I really don't want to get involved in that anymore. I am getting too old for that swamp and it IS a swamp. I will defer chips and tanks to others...unless I test it myself and there is no way I can test all printers and purchase everything under the sun. Whatever I carry I know works because I use them myself. Just this year alone, I have invested over $3000 into purchasing printers. Each year the bill is close that in the last few years. Plus as you know I do most of the work of development myself. Obviously most sellers do not do what I do. Most will depend on the word of someone else but I am have down that road before and why I am unique to this level of commitment.

I did tell the thread starter the inks are the same but obviously the chips are not and I don't carry that tank or chip model.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I did tell the thread starter the inks are the same but obviously the chips are not and I don't carry that tank or chip model.
Understood. Thank you. Precision Colors does not have a chip or cartridge for the Maxify MB5120. But, your aftermarket Maxify ink, though, will work for either series of Maxify printers.

Is your aftermarket Maxify ink a "universal ink"?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
No it is not a universal ink.
In the New Year, I will post a basic series of profiles for this categiry of printer because some people have asked for it.
This Maxify has been in use for over 6 years now.
I am unable to comment on the chips for the 2200.

Cedar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Stratman

You did? Hmmm....I'm not seeing that post here anywhere. Anyway, now I'm just wondering if there might be anything else you said that I'm missing out on......?

Cedar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So, ok....just "giving my head a shake" here. So, basically, this is what I'm seeing as my options:

1) Buy ARC chips from aliexpress to put on the oem carts.

2) Buy the clear type cartridges with ARC chips.

Am I missing anything? Are there any other options?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
1) Buy ARC chips from aliexpress to put on the oem carts.

2) Buy the clear type cartridges with ARC chips.

Am I missing anything? Are there any other options?
3) Refill the OEM cartridges and run them without ink level monitoring.

4) Use new OEM or aftermarket cartridges one time only, no refill.

5) Stop using the Maxify. :(

If you are going to refill then your #1 is the best choice - use ARC chips on OEM cartridges.