Canon MAXIFY MB5050 doesn't finish start up process

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Could it be that’s why the other guy got shot of the printer in the first place, pulling a paper jam out the wrong way is a very quick way of getting a continued paper error, one of the paper sensors can get been damaged, that was one of the reasons why I suggested turning the printer upside down...

I’d still try to pull the plug on start up to get the carts out, it’s all a matter of timing, and it might take several goes to get it...

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
You can also try this method...

Swipe right a couple of times on the display until you see the Set Up icon - tap it.

Select Maintenance

Tap on Roller Cleaning

Tap Yes

You will be asked to remove the paper tray

Then tap yes to start the cleaning...

As soon as you hear the rollers turning switch off the printer. Open the front panel and you will then be able to slide the print head across, then remove the carts.

When finished, put the carts back in and turn on the printer.

sieben

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MAXIFY MB5050
Could it be that’s why the other guy got shot of the printer in the first place, pulling a paper jam out the wrong way is a very quick way of getting a continued paper error, one of the paper sensors can get been damaged, that was one of the reasons why I suggested turning the printer upside down...

I’d still try to pull the plug on start up to get the carts out, it’s all a matter of timing, and it might take several goes to get it...

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. It could be the case, though. I have tried literally well over 50 times to power off the printer at different times, before, during or after the printhead moves in any direction, and it never unlocked :/

You can also try this method...

Swipe right a couple of times on the display until you see the Set Up icon - tap it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the error message is not dismissable - I see no way of accessing the menu, and swiping right doesn't do anything...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. It could be the case, though. I have tried literally well over 50 times to power off the printer at different times, before, during or after the printhead moves in any direction, and it never unlocked :/
When we say unlock the print head, that means from its permanent position on the capping station, once the head moves at all, that is the time to remove the power plug.

Here is a video on how to remove the carts once the head can be moved manually by hand: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysHiP3-PHg

Disregard the first few minutes... ;)

sieben

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MAXIFY MB5050
Thanks for all of your help, but so far I haven't been able to unlock it.

The thing with that video is that the guy says to cut power "while printing" and that makes sense, as the printhead will be loose in the middle. In my case, the printhead never leaves the right side (even though I can't see it, the noises are exactly the same as when I power on the printer with the front door open, which my initial video shows). The printhead adjusts a bit to the right and a bit to the left but after it just stays there.

I'm using a switch to cut power in the video below. Here I am turning it off right after hearing the first printhead motion sounds, but I've tried a lot of different variations.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlfd8jr0coy0dsz/IMG_8711.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK in all your videos, especially the first one in post # 1 they show your cartridges in the un-locked position, so the print head should be able to be pulled into the centre of the carriageway.

Here is the position of my cartridges when in the un-locked position (Left Pic) and (Right Pic) the locked position, now compare that to you carts position from your video Pic.
Maxify.jpg... Your Maxify.jpg click to enlarge.
You can stick a piece of paper in the door micro switch on the top left side of the printer, this will enable you to operate the printer while the front door remains open, which should give you a clearer picture of what’s going on.

Another thing you can do would be to put your hand in to the left side and rotate the white gear till you hear an audible click that might also help you move the printer head by hand...

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thanks for all of your help, but so far I haven't been able to unlock it.

The thing with that video is that the guy says to cut power "while printing" and that makes sense, as the printhead will be loose in the middle. In my case, the printhead never leaves the right side (even though I can't see it, the noises are exactly the same as when I power on the printer with the front door open, which my initial video shows). The printhead adjusts a bit to the right and a bit to the left but after it just stays there.

I'm using a switch to cut power in the video below. Here I am turning it off right after hearing the first printhead motion sounds, but I've tried a lot of different variations.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlfd8jr0coy0dsz/IMG_8711.mp4?dl=0

Don't think that will work, you need to get the printer to do something after it has completed its start up routine. If I read your reply to my last post correctly it seems like you are stuck on the error screen when it completes its start up routine. If that is the case then I cannot see any way of selecting a test print, roller clean or any other routine that will allow you to power off and leave the head unlocked.

There is also one other possibility with that code - an ink tank is not fully locked into the head. Maybe one got released when you were transporting it. You can just about get a finger on each cart when parked, be sure it's powered off and try pushing on the carts to make sure they are fully seated.

Last edited:

sieben

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MAXIFY MB5050
Don't think that will work, you need to get the printer to do something after it has completed its start up routine. If I read your reply to my last post correctly it seems like you are stuck on the error screen when it completes its start up routine. If that is the case then I cannot see any way of selecting a test print, roller clean or any other routine that will allow you to power off and leave the head unlocked.

There is also one other possibility with that code - an ink tank is not fully locked into the head. Maybe one got released when you were transporting it. You can just about get a finger on each cart when parked, be sure it's powered off and try pushing on the carts to make sure they are fully seated.

Yeah, I've gone back and forth trying every suggestion and in my opinion I think the printhead is never actually loose.

As for the the ink tanks, those all seem to be seated properly, at least they feel similar when being pushed in.

I guess I have to take it in for repair, as it's probably something related to the paper sensors.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Might be cheaper to buy a new one than get it repaired these days :(

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Hi,
I got this printer from someone that hadn't used for quite some time and even when first connected it was barely used (some kind of unwanted gift).
After turning it on for the first time, I got the language selection menu and maybe one or two other options after, but it then went to an error screen (error code 5102). Here's a video of the start up process (right after pressing the power button):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afx0f7ovnn90td8/IMG_8693.mp4?dl=0

The error message suggests checking for any paper jams (there isn't) or to see if the cartridges are properly set, which I can't do (the printhead never moves to the center, even if I wanted to take each one manually).

I have also tried to enter service mode, but it didn't make any difference. The cartridges are Canon original.

Should I consider this one is toast, or at least in need of service repair?

Regards

It seems to me the printhead is blocked after moving 2 carts to the left.
It moves from the locking position so if you pull the plug at the right moment you must be able to glide it further to the right and feel where it stops.

Are you really sure all cartridges are seated well ?

Maybe you could remove the right side panel to have a look (@The Hat knows how ;)).

Last edited: