Canon IP4850 paper lost inside

doidge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
As I have done many times for years, to save paper printing a 20 x 3.33 cm image, I put a 21 x 8cm strip of photo paper into the back of the printer set for A4 paper, told Photoshop to print it at the top of an A4 sheet, called it an A4 portrait in Page Setup, and clicked Print. The strip of paper slid into the bowels of the printer, it sounded as if the image was printing but then vanished, and the paper jam warning came up. I've taken the back of the printer off, peered into the printhead cavity and can't see the paper anywhere. Can anyone help please. I really don't want to have to buy yet another printer. Thankyou

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Try the paper tray in the base of the printer...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon you could try looking between the bottom paper tray and the path where the Duplex paper goes
and if you do find it there be careful removing it very gentle like, a flashlight might come in handy..

doidge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Effusive thanks. Tried the easier responses but PeterBJ resolved it with the link to the service manual, so we were able to take the printer to bits, retrieve the slip of paper, put it back together and it works! Thankyou Peter.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
doidge said:
Effusive thanks. Tried the easier responses but PeterBJ resolved it with the link to the service manual, so we were able to take the printer to bits, retrieve the slip of paper, put it back together and it works! Thankyou Peter.
Ok great news but dont for heavens sake leave us all hanging.
Where was this elusive piece of paper hiding..? :hu

Lumi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
And I hope you took pics!!

doidge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
It had dropped down from the rear paper feed, inside the printer, but not been taken up by the rollers to send it on to the ink heads. So maybe we could have got it out without taking the printer apart. Whatever, it needed a pair of needle-nosed pliers and a flashlight and we didn't take a photo - too keen to get it back together and make sure it still worked. This has saved us SO much money! Thankyou.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

doidge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
No, I won't need a translation! The nicest thing about the IP4700 Service Manual (that was for Google Search) you led me to was that the dismantling of the printer was all in pictures - wouldn't have mattered if it was in Swahili.
Only problem with it was that it said to remove the back paper feed, the paper catching tray and the ink cartiridge cover by 'just flexing' them to get them off their pins. They are not very flexible. Very difficult to get them off and even more difficult (flashlight held by helper, much swearing) to get them back on again.
But we did it!