Canon iP4200 "operator error"

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why won't it work?
Because it’s a knackered print head refurbished to look like new, no Canon print head can ever come back from electrical failure, no matter how clean and shiny it looks..

The best way to kill a print head is to use cheapest dye ink in it, only OEM inks are guaranteed to work efficiently..

13mh13

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4200
Because it’s a knackered print head refurbished to look like new, no Canon print head can ever come back from electrical failure, no matter how clean and shiny it looks..
Here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282636095083

The Seller notes:
Condition: Open box :
Seller Notes: “NEW PRINT HEAD”
PLEASE NOTE
IT'S VERY VERY POSSIBLE THAT AFTER YOU INSTALL A PRINT HEAD, IT DOES NOT WORK, AND THE REASON IS POSSIBLE THAT YOUR PRINT MAIN-BOARD BURNS THE PRINT HEAD.IT'S VERY POSSIBLE, WE HAVE 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN PRINTER FIELDS, AND WE KNOW THIS OFTEN HAPPENS.
SO IF YOU MEET THE PROBLEM, WE WILL ARRANGE THE FULL REFUND TO YOU,WE CAN LOSE MONEY, BUT PLEASE DON'T LEAVE A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. IT'S MAYBE OUR fault OR YOUR PRINTER'S fault.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If the print head were "new" then why would they test it?

Canon print heads are packaged in a distinctive Mylar wrapper and are infused with a protective colored goop and then placed inside a distinctive box.

A 'loosie" like this should be suspected as used and cleaned up, not "new".

China is a known portal of fraudulent "new" print heads long out of manufacturer's production. The better frauds use counterfeit packaging - box, Mylar wrapper and goop. The distributor of this print head appears to not wanting to spend the money to dress up the used one as new. Bold.

If the print head originates out of China, even if the seller is located in the US, for instance, it should be suspected. This is from the auction you listed:

1622474397943.png

The caveat the seller gives is appropriate. A bad logic assay board can rarely cause the print head to go bad as well. Electrical malfunctions may do this in either direction.

The seller has few buyer comments for this specific sale, some good, some not. Overall numerical rating 5/5 stars is quite high for this print head sale and gives the impression that people bought good working print heads.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Seller notes:
Condition: Open box :
Seller Notes: “NEW PRINT HEAD”
Bollocks.. There’re not new..
I have said what I said, so even if these guys can walk on water, they can't fix a damaged print head, no matter how many miracles they can perform.. the heads are crap..

The Seller notes: IS POSSIBLE THAT YOUR PRINT MAIN-BOARD BURNS THE PRINT HEAD.IT'SY POSSIBLE, WE HAVE 10 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN PRINTER FIELDS, AND WE KNOW THIS OFTEN HAPPENS.
A poor workman will always blame his tools..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There have been several reports on the forum of "Claimed to be new" printheads from China that were defective out of the box.

Last edited:

13mh13

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4200
As far as the original problem: 5-rapid-flash code. I'm going to assume that means the printer circuitry has detected something faulty with the PH, correct?
When I open the ink-access cover (what makes the ink carriage position itself for ink cart removal), that 5-rapid-flash code stop (the that LED button is not lit). When the cover closed, the 5-rapid-flash code resumes.
So I'm going to assume that it is the PH. Also if I remove the PH entirely and, I get the same 5-rapid-flash code (even if I power cycle).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
As far as the original problem: 5-rapid-flash code. I'm going to assume that means the printer circuitry has detected something faulty with the PH, correct?
You’re out of rope... Time to think about a new Printer..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe a new or at least good printhead will make the printer work again. Maybe, just maybe the printheads from China are OK. It looks like you really want to try one of these printheads, so go ahead and buy one, it is your money. But my guess is that you will be disappointed.

If you are lucky and get a working printhead, then don't print with empty dye cartridges by resetting them and disabling the prism by covering it. Even if you use only pigment black by selecting greyscale and plain paper the printer still uses dye inks in automated print head cleaning. The ink acts as a necessary coolant, trying to print or clean the printhead without ink will ruin the new printhead by damaging the heaters.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
To add to @PeterBJ 's post:

The PIXMA MG7751 will use color ink tanks to print colored text. Even if the grayscale option is checked in the printer driver, if the original text is in a color other than black, the PIXMA MG7751 will combine the cyan, magenta and yellow ink tanks together to make a composite black. This is why your color ink cartridges are being used.

To use only the black ink tank, the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...sing-coloured-inks-when-grayscale/td-p/239881

Yes, it is in reference to a different printer model, but the rule probably applies. Canon does not reinvent the wheel in its entirety with every new model, eg the error code.

Also, the Dye-based inks will be used for maintenance functions. This cannot be avoided unless you stop using the printer altogether.

If a cartridge is marked Empty then the printer will not work until you put in a replacement cartridge which is not marked as Empty yet. You may be able to avoid this issue if you disable ink level monitoring when a cartridge is marked as empty. The instructions for this option will appear on your monitor at that time.

If you have $23.99 burning a hole in your pocket then give it a try. Hope for a fully functional print head that lasts a long time. Assume the print head will not be fully functional, or fully functional for long.

Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts