Canon ip4200 (ip4300) questions about chip and cartridge

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to note that as far as the new Canons go.. you seem to have 3 choices.

1. Buy, build or hack together a CIS unit using original carts or the spongeless buffers I've seen on some CIS's for this model.

2. Refill your original chipped Canons carts

3. Purchase any of the number of so called "compatibles" on ebay, etc.. that need the chip transferring.

Me.. I build my own CIS kits using the original carts and some good tubing, etc.. and I haven't looked back since.. compatibles seem to be just putting off the inevitable though IMHO.

~PJ~

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Has anyone actually tried swapping the chip over onto a non-gen cartridge with the ip4300? If so, does it work? I've had to buy this new printer and I'm a bit doomed if the chip swapping is flaky.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
How about hanging around the ink counter at the office depot and offering someone who is buying the new carts a few dollars for their empties????? Maybe put an ad on craigs list? There must be a ready supply of empty OEM carts out there. Lets get inventive, guys.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have tried it on a PG5 cartridge. In order to keep the chip from falling off you need to glue it on the cartridge. Still it fell off into the printer once which scared the hell of me. I ended up using a soldering iron with a sharp tip to melt the two tiny plastic poles to permanently hold the chip in place. It's not fun to keep transfering the chip to new carts. It's easier to refill OEM carts and is cheaper too.

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
MIS Ink supply sells FUN TAK REUSABLE ADHESIVE here

Fun Tak is great for attaching chips to cartridges and holding artwork in place. Replaces tape and tacks. Non toxic, easily removed, no residue, no stains, and long lasting.
As of the last time I checked the following was true...

MIS sells bulk refill ink for Canon OEM CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges; their refill instructions are for Canon OEM carts.

MIS does not sell prefilled (or blank) 3rd party carts for CLI-8/PGI-5 carts, so this product (Fun Tak) is apparently meant for Epson (or HP?) cartridges with chips.

Anyway, maybe this Fun Tak would work for reattaching Canon cartridge chips to 3rd-partry cartridges. Has anyone tried it?

Lilla

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
fotofreek said:
How about hanging around the ink counter at the office depot and offering someone who is buying the new carts a few dollars for their empties????? Maybe put an ad on craigs list? There must be a ready supply of empty OEM carts out there. Lets get inventive, guys.
I've been trying to find a source at a variety of places including the recycling cartridge companies and to date had NILL luck or results.. Hard to say why but strangely I think nobody has taken me seriously...

Dumb as ditchwater but there you go...

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
An observation - I haven't seen nearly as much advertising from office depot, staples, office max, etc, for the new canon printers, except for the multifunction units. Maybe these chipped printers aren't flying off the shelves! Could that account for not seeing empty carts on ebay like we saw the bci-6 empties?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
fotofreek said:
I've been trying to find a source at a variety of places including the recycling cartridge companies and to date had NILL luck or results.. Hard to say why but strangely I think nobody has taken me seriously...

Dumb as ditchwater but there you go...
I am not surprised. I believe the reason these carts are not appearing on the recycling scene in numbers is that they new carts are not being purchased in any great numbers, if they are purchased, the owners are refilling the old and hanging on to them, for the obvious reason , any chip is better than no chip , even a dead chip. You can occasionally purchase an empty set from E-Bay, at a third of their full value (approx.).
As regards "hanging around the ink counter" I think you may find that the Staff are already well switched on to the possabilities of these redundant carts , and are acting accordingly, (and good luck to them ).

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
An observation - I haven't seen nearly as much advertising from office depot, staples, office max, etc, for the new canon printers, except for the multifunction units. Maybe these chipped printers aren't flying off the shelves! Could that account for not seeing empty carts on ebay like we saw the bci-6 empties?
believe it or not... i think a LOT of EL STUPIDO people that have NO clue about ink cost etc buy HP printers...which are heavily advertised..and LOTS of businesses buy them...because the people that work for these businesses aren't USING "their own" money when sent down to COSTO to buy HP in bulk.... they THINK they are saving money...but obviously we know they are not.

These SAME people think HP printers are good...because if there employer bought a HP..then it must be good?

not.

EPSONs are still popular among graphic designers also in the workplace..they are not buying the ink...their employer is.... so they swear on this brand also. Kinda like PC users vs Mac users... Mac users are very hardcore about "their" Mac...and say nothing good about PCs.... like the misleading Apple current commercials.

Canon printers obviously are great printers.... great prices and great prices for the ink. In my opinion, I also like Epsons...but lean more to the Canons....since they seem to have more nozzles per print pass....for faster prints etc. HP may have been my first color inkjet to purchase to buy in the back in the day...but I have learned with HP's money making stratagy.... I despise HP with a passion. Like with any printer manufaxture.... they can practically give the printer away...but the strategy is to sell the ink....no matter how little volume is in the cart...and how expensive it is... HP acts like it is Gold to consumers or something.

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
canonfodder said:
Bubble jet IS a thermal ink jet. The other type is a piezoelectric ink jet. Canon makes bubble ink jets using a heater or thermal ink pump. Epson makes piezo units.
i think the PIEZO printheads from epson use a crystal or something that when energized cause a OIL CAN effect...that pushes out the ink droplets.

I know that's how XAAR piezo heads work in high end Solvent Ink printers... these heads aren't cheap... abot $400-$800 a head I think.... that is for one color....