Canon iP4000 think I've got banding problem

jimread

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've not bothered very much about the print quality with my printer before, always thought it was OK. I noticed some banding the other day and looking at it closely it's not very nice. Reading lots of the posts here I tried;

Cleaning
Deep cleaning
Removed the print head and soaked it in several changes of hot water for a few hours, then dried it in front of a fan for an hour or so.
Re-alignment, both auto and manual.
Using the printer on the floor, it does wobble on my table.
Using good Kodak paper that is completely flat, even worse on this.

Here's a scan of a test image,
2evqhlf.jpg

I was going to get a printer profile from the people I downloaded the test image from, looks as though I'll have to buy another printer now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jim

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Jim,

Did you change the cartridges ? Maybe it is a feeding problem of ink not able to feed the printhead fast enough.

jimread

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Pharmacist, I'll explain what I've done so far;

I've just started to use some new inks and cartridges from CityInkExpress, the inks were bottled and the cartridges were new ones. I filled them and left then for the sponges to fill up and put them in the printer, I must admit I was very pleased with the sight of the first print. I then decided to get a printer profile and downloaded the test pages and the image above. It wasn't until I looked at it very carefully that I noticed the banding.

The one above is the worst example, I wasn't sure how it would scan thats why I used it.

As I write I've just finished doing this; remove the printhead, taken it apart, swilled the components under the hot tap, dried it a bit, sparyed the nozzles with WD40, put it all back together, dried it in front of a fan for an hour or so.

I've put it back in the printer now, done a cleaning cycle, done an auto alignment, and just printed off the best nozzle check I've seen so far, I can even see separate lines in the Cyan and Yellow and Magenta as well as the Black.

I'll try a print and let you know what happens, thanks for the advice Pharmacist, I do hope it is what you suggest I don't really want to buy another printer.

Jim

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
jimread said:
As I write I've just finished doing this; remove the printhead, taken it apart, swilled the components under the hot tap, dried it a bit, sparyed the nozzles with WD40, put it all back together, dried it in front of a fan for an hour or so.
Hopefully the electrical contacts were protected during this wild ride :eek:
Never heard of using WD40 on a printhead !

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3129
Post #6

Good Luck

jimread

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Pharmacist

Here is a scan of part of one of my TTV images the banding has now gone to white streaks, present in the blue and the green but not so much in the red.

I suspect either a nozzle still blocked or the electrical gubbins has failed.

2jaz42s.jpg

I will try another cleaning, both standard and deep and see what happens.

Jim

jimread

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just made this after doing a clean and a deep clean, the lines are all the way along the colours, just get a bit fainter where the colours are a bit denser.

34fxkwg.jpg

Next I'm going to take out the cartridges and repressurise them.

Jim

The nozzle checks are fine no white lines at all

jimread

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
After much discussion with City Ink Express who very kindly phoned me at home, we came to the conclusion that the print head has failed.

I am now going to look for another Canon printer and have seen several for sale on eBay. First though I will have to find out about them on this forum.

Thanks for the help and the advice, I am grateful.

Jim

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Jim,

I wouldn't give up until I tried the Entlich formula.

Heated soak for a half hour or so.
Then I would make up some "cleaning cartridges" with the formula and print some test pages with the cleaning carts.
I would do one color at a time using one of the large test blocks to flow a lot of cleaner.
http://www.inkjetsaver.com/Printertest.html

G & G offers cleaning carts also :
http://www.printpal.com/printer/canon/ip4000.html

Lastly, you can just replace the iP4000 printhead if you wish.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If you think it is the printhead, why not buy another printhead? EBay printers could be a crapshoot - may already have problems. Why is the person selling it? Newer Canon printers have chipped cartridges - not as easy to refill as the good old ip4000. I had problems with my ip4000 - problems with nozzle check. Trying cleaning the printhead to no avail - maybe I was too aggressive. New printhead fixed it all up. How are your nozzle checks right now after you did the printhead cleaning? If fairly good, maybe it is the inks you are using.

Steve W.