Canon iP2600- problems with print sizing

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello folks.
I got this Canon Pixma iP2600 just a while back, and I've been super pleased with the results, until yesterday. The thing is, I've printed only 4x6 or 8x10 prints before. But yesterday, I tried to make a 4x4 print on 4x6 paper, and the printer driver is having none of that! If I choose borderless printing, it stretches the image so that it's 4x6 like the paper; very attractive! If I choose bordered printing then, of course, the image can't be 4x4 because there has to be room for the border. Besides, I don't want bordered printing; I want a 4x4 print that I can trim off the excess 2 inches of wasted paper.
This should be so easy: As long as the image fits on the paper, the driver should just put it where you want it and print it. (Then again, the driver for my Canon scanner is a piece of %^&^%$ too!)
If anyone can tell me how to make my prints the size I want them to be I'd appreciate it very much.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Can't you, in software, just add two inches to the end of your photo and tell the printer to do a borderless 4x6 printout and then cut off the excess?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Can't you, in software, just add two inches to the end of your photo and tell the printer to do a borderless 4x6 printout and then cut off the excess?
To follow up on this approach, you can either set the crop tool to 4x6 and include the 4x4 in the crop in addition to blank space at the end or, in a more sophisticated program, (photoshop elements is less than $100) resize the "canvas" to 4x6. This essentially does the same thing that cropping beyond the edges of the 4x4 would do.

The borderless setting, as you've seen, has a slide adjustment for how much to expand the image to essentially print beyond the paper edges. Otherwise, slight paper alignment variances would leave a white edge if you try to print exactly the same size as the paper. The ink that sprays beyond the paper edges is captured by foam strips and deposited into the waste ink pads at the bottom of the printer.