Canon IP1500 printhead, clogged or burnt out?

Renesis

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have Canon IP1500 and when I print nozzle check it prints only black, and it's perfect but none of the colors don't even show up, I thought it might be clogged so I tried cleaning with warm distilled water and some alcohol but it didnt help. And are the nozzles heated while using deep cleaning, could that burn the head too, if there is no ink flowing? Thanks in advance.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If your printer has been out of use for a week or two, a clog which may prove difficult to shift could result. Your first line of attack therefore should be to try many deep clean cycles using the printer software. Failing that you could remove the printhead and subject it to a stream of hot water directly onto the points where the ink tanks sit in the head. Reverse flushing with hot water should also be done from the nozzle side of the head. Be careful not to touch the nozzles on any hard object (ie the tap or sink). When clear water is seen to be coming from the head with no ink staining then you need to fold a pad of kitchen paper, soak it with water and gently place the head nozzles onto the pad and gently press down in a pumping action. Watch for water coming back up into the head which is an indication that the nozzles are clean.
You also need to check the purging unit as any blocked pipework will not allow the head to be charged with ink via the ink tanks and out through the nozzles. There are many ways of doing this which are explained in these forums but basically you need to swich on your printer then open the cover to enable the print head to move to its central position. The purging pads can be seen at the right hand end of the head track. Simply place drops of water (Hot is better) onto both of these pads, then close the cover. After a short time open the cover and check to see if the water you placed on the purge pads has gone. If not repeat the exercise and use a week mix of Household ammonia and water (one part ammonia and 20 parts water). If after all this the clog is not cleared then the problem is either a faulty or blocked purge unit or pipes or fatally a burnt out printhead, which only a new printhead will fix. Try however to work on clearing potential clogs as explained. Reading these forums with searches for "Head Cleaning" or "Purge Unit" will give you variations on this technique. I assume there is ink in your colour carts? Look at "i9900/pro9000 print head mysterious clogging"
Lets know how you get on
Doug

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You should start with dougsewell's advice about checking the purge unit by putting water (or Windex window cleaner) on the pads where the print head parks,etc. If your purge unit is clogged, and it looks like the large pad for the dye inks may be clogged, then no amount of cleaning cycles will do any good, and it will waste a cartridge full of pigment ink.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
1. Always check and fix the purge unit first before doing any unclogging.
2. Check the rubber washer at the print head ink inlets for good seal. Air goes in the nozzles instead of ink if there is leak around the washer. Symptom: Ink level for the air leakage color will not go down after head cleaning
3. Do head cleaning after 1 and 2 are confirmed working. Don't use deep cleaning which use lots of ink.

Renesis

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK, thanks for your replies, I'll check the purge unit. I haven't checked that yet. And I looked the print head under the microscope and it doesn't seem that it is burnt. And it has color on it after performing cleaning cycle. And I have ink in the tanks. XD

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Any time you remove the print head, you have to be very careful not to let ink or any other liquid migrate over to the electronics which is on the bottom and along the backside. If you do, you should make sure it is dry before you put it back in the printer.