Not even sure what a refill clip is
This is what a refill clip looks like..
Capture00.JPG

TiaanM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TR4540
Do you have instructions on how to refill your cartridges? Please link so we can see.
I do not have actual instructions, but have seen some youtube videos of the two methods, ie. removing the top completely, or drilling holes in the top and inserting the ink through the holes. Regarding the clip, most people in the videos I've seen just stick a piece of insulation tape over the exit port, instead of using a clip.

TiaanM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TR4540
So I agree with stratman's recommendation of trying the locally available inks.
Thank you for the comment. There seem to be a lot of uncertainty around this, i.e. your test that canon's GI-490 ink doesn't work, whereas @The Hat, comment that any canon formulated ink should work in these cartridges. I have found the same locally as well, where some vendors indicate that you can use GI-490 ink whereas other is of the opinion that you can not.

At least now I got an answer from someone who have tried it first hand, that is if we can go on the assumption that PG-510 cartridges are similar to PG-445.

I guess the safest bet would be to first buy the 20ml refill kits from the store, which they claim to be specifically for 445 and 446 cartridges. If this works then I will probably invest in the 1lt bottles.

keruchan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS207
it's been what? 4yrs when this thread discussion started.
have you found a solution to this?

I got here because I'm also looking for any information about Canon's Pigment inks.
and I'm thankful to this thread that the GI-490 doesn't work on the Cartridge type.

did you found an answer to this? in my country there is only GI-490, GI-70 and GI-71
the GI-490 is BK while the other 2 are PGBK.

I assume GI-490 is not pigment but just marketed as pigment and is actually dye ink
while Gi-70 and GI-71 is True Pigment inks.

I have experience on refilling my cartridge but I'm not happy with how fast (third party) dye ink fades and is smudge when it got wet. this is why I'm on the hunt for Pigment type inks that is compatible with canon.

I really wanted to refill my PG-745 with Pigment ink. but there is not a single universal pigment ink in the market that work with canon at all. so i'm looking with the original canon inks instead.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you are addressing one irritating problem - there are lots of different numbers for bottled megatank inks - all these bottles are mechanically coded so that you cannot insert the wrong color into the printer reservoirs, but these bottles - the top of it - are coded just for particular product families even it is the same ink technically. And Canon adds more different numbers to the range of inks for different business regions - Epson is doing something similar.
Yes, there are quality differences mainly with the fading resistance of the dye inks - the Canon inks with the best performance - by far - are the inks for the G550 photo printer - the GI 53 inks (numbers may vary in your country),
and there are dye inks like the GI-51 for multipurpose use - scanning printing etc. These inks have a somewhat lower performance than the GI-53 inks, and there are a wide range of third party compatible products on the market - cheaper than the Canon inks - with lower (and otherwise unknown) fading performance . So you have the choice - you can go by the price and get big bottles or you use the GI-53 photo inks - you even can use different cartridge sets with different inks for different applications and swap them as needed.

keruchan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS207
oh.. so my Cartridge which is PG-745 is coded by region? I assume it's the "7". so it means it's PG-X45 and CL-X46 . [X] is being the region.

so does that mean the GI-71 here is the GI-51 there?
I'll look into that GI-53 thanks for the information..

my use case was simply for barcode and QR code printing. for small business. (this is why I care less about the color cartridge, I only need it there so the printer can detect that it is attach and can proceed to printing. 😂)

It's my first time to buy printers so I bought the cheapest one TS207. (I have a feeling that this too is coded by region since the driver is called TS200) and found myself in this rabbit hole of different inks.

I still yet to find any photos online of a 3 or 5 yrs old black printed dye ink that already reached its maximum fading. coz if it fades and still being read by barcode scanner.. I'm totally ok with dye ink then. I just don't want it to fade like thermal papers where it reached to the point that it can't be read by the scanner.

this place is really helpful.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Oh well, dye black ink can fade as well depending of the actual exposure conditions, you would be better off with pigment inks in that case.

The G570 photo printer uses GI-73 inks - in India as I see it. It could very well be true that Canon uses these numbers as well in your country.