Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
It's universal ink. Great value as are the cartridges and as good as products at much heftier prices. However, not a patch on the Hobbicolours I use.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Been looking at that site. Are you sure these guys are for real? They sell carts for the Canon at under 50p, then better carts about a pount, then carts with chip and the optics bit for 3. Paper prices seem interesting as well.

Someone needs to buy one of these 10 resetters and see what comes back.

Not really interested regular bulk ink until I have finished off the reserves for the Epson and bought the ancient warhorse that is the BJ6200 out of retirement to use the reserves for text and printing off CBBC, Dora, Ben 10 or whatever the nieces and nephews are into on the internet. The nephew's bedroom is plastered with glossy prints of scooby doo posters courtesy of Uncle Froggy. The MP610 is being kept for best photo stuff and so I'm going to be ordering Hobbicolors inks from recommendations. Going to try a simple comparison between Canon, the German Ink that came with my (now seemingly expensive Redsetter) and Hoobicolors.

I guess that's what happens when you are an early buyer in the market. The people I feel most sorry for in a way are those who are marketing the resetter that needs to be plugged into the USB printer port...

burkm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Froggy said:
Been looking at that site. Are you sure these guys are for real? They sell carts for the Canon at under 50p, then better carts about a pount, then carts with chip and the optics bit for 3. Paper prices seem interesting as well.

Someone needs to buy one of these 10 resetters and see what comes back.

Not really interested regular bulk ink until I have finished off the reserves for the Epson and bought the ancient warhorse that is the BJ6200 out of retirement to use the reserves for text and printing off CBBC, Dora, Ben 10 or whatever the nieces and nephews are into on the internet. The nephew's bedroom is plastered with glossy prints of scooby doo posters courtesy of Uncle Froggy. The MP610 is being kept for best photo stuff and so I'm going to be ordering Hobbicolors inks from recommendations. Going to try a simple comparison between Canon, the German Ink that came with my (now seemingly expensive Redsetter) and Hoobicolors.

I guess that's what happens when you are an early buyer in the market. The people I feel most sorry for in a way are those who are marketing the resetter that needs to be plugged into the USB printer port...
I bought quite a bit of stuff from them on several instances including the redsetter (payed abou 16 about 6 weeks ago).
Everything worked fine and order handling was OK.

The ink cartdriges, I bought there, for my Canon MP830 perform as expected and I reseted the chips (CLI) without any major problem.
The inks have been tested extensively by some computer magazines in Germany and have received several awards (ct, Computer-Bild etc.).

They are what they are: cheap but good.
Judging by the box they come from China.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi I had checked with them and they replied. Apparently they don't ship oversea, only within UK.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
The purchase of a resetter has got me wondering about ink monitoring. Surely the ink monitor is based on the amount of ink in an original Canon ink cartridge. If you underfill a cartridge will the ink monitor show the cartridge as still having ink when in fact it is empty? If this is the case there is still a need to visually examine filled cartridges to ensure they don't run dry. The other option would be to ensure that the cartridge is refilled to the maximum. Either way can we be 100% sure that ink monitoring of a refilled cartridge is safe?

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i have also contacted them about shipping to the usa but they are only shipping in the UK does anyone have an idea how to get them into the good old usa at that price which is about $20.00

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
wilko said:
The purchase of a resetter has got me wondering about ink monitoring. Surely the ink monitor is based on the amount of ink in an original Canon ink cartridge. If you underfill a cartridge will the ink monitor show the cartridge as still having ink when in fact it is empty? If this is the case there is still a need to visually examine filled cartridges to ensure they don't run dry. The other option would be to ensure that the cartridge is refilled to the maximum. Either way can we be 100% sure that ink monitoring of a refilled cartridge is safe?
The ink monitoring facility is as valid as it was with an original full Canon cart.
I have just been testing the ink monitoring facility and the indicated levels are falling commensurate with use, just the same as with "New" carts.

It is possible to reset (using the Redsetter) the ink level to full and the cart to proper operation without refilling at all. The ink monitor will eventually tell you that you are getting low on ink..........but you in effect you will actullay have run out of ink and fried the heads some time before that.

There is a school of thought that says the optical prism will come into action to tell you you are definitely out of ink.......when there is no ink in the resevoir chamber.......but I have yet to see that and trust it..

The best procedure is as soon as a cart starts flashing "low ink", remove cart , refill to full , and re-set the chip so it then stays lit and steady in the head, and check the ink monitor now shows full as well. Do not wait for monitor to say you are right out of ink.
That way your refilling will be in sync with the ink monitor.......or you can just keep topping up and keep the ink held at more than what the monitor thinks is there. Currently the Monitor thinks 3 of my carts are half full , where in reality they are full when the monitor says they are getting low I will reset and refill full again then.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
wilko said:
I think it depends on how much ink is remaining in the empty cartridge before you refill.

I bought empty cartridges on ebay so I would have a spare set to refill. The first one was yellow and it looked like the sponge was very dry. I filled it using the German method, then withdrew the needle and turned the cart the right way up. I saw bubbles in the tank as the sponge started to soak. Within a few seconds the tank level was down by about a . A new Canon cart has no air above the ink in the tank side of the cart, so I repeated the filling process to top up the tank.

With the rest of the carts, I revised the filling method so that after filling and with the syringe and needle still in place, I turned the cart the right way up, waited till the level in the tank had stabilised then topped up.

I think that way I got as near as possible to the amount of ink in an original OEM cart and, hopefully, the displayed ink level will reflect that.