Canon in trouble,and are raising prices - 2009 2nd quarter report

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed that when buying Canon cartridges lately from my wholesaler, the cost has gone up by 25%-40% in Canada. This has been reflected even in the big chain stores, where Canon cartridges are much more expensive than last year. NO wonder..they are losing money AND profits. Is it the economic decline, or Canon's new and worse policies? Probably both, and they SHOULD be nervous. For you financial types, take a look at these figures recently released by Canon for the 2ns quarter of 2009.

http://www.canon.com/ir/results/2009/rslt2009q2e.pdf

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
They already raised the prices of the cartridge in Europe several months ago. My goodness: our knowlege here at nifty-stuff.com appears to have negative consequences for Canon...

Did you know that HP is introducing an upgrade for the HP 364 cartridges: the HP 920 XL and a special very large inktank for pigment black yealding more than 1000 pages and guess what: using the printhead design of its predecessor the HP B8550, where the nozzles of photo black are deactivated and place has been created to accomodate the very big pigment black ink tank.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Now that organizations are now becoming aware of having to reduce their carbon footprint, I would suspect that the IT folks would recognize that laser printers might have a much larger carbon footprint than inkjets, thus the need for high capacity cartridges for enterprise class printers. Epson now has some models with large tanks as well. Maybe this is a start of a new trend?

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
We have seen both HP and Canon increase their consummable prices by about 10-18% here in India, BUT have also seen an introduction of cheaper variants of ink carts by HP for Example to supplement the 21 black they have introduced the 21B at nearly 60% cost reduction. Same case for 27 black we now see 27B. They proclaim that the B range is for everyday printing.Seems the recycling industry has begun to make a dent in their profits and they do not want to reduce costs but at the same time also do not want to loose market share hence this dual policy

Rgds,

Jasii

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
pharmacist said:
They already raised the prices of the cartridge in Europe several months ago. My goodness: our knowlege here at nifty-stuff.com appears to have negative consequences for Canon
yuckyuck.gif

But in all seriousness, this is one of the reasons why I'm hoarding 3 extra new i560 printers in my garage. The printers work great and the carts are just so easy to refill.