Canon i9950 problem

Hughbikes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
None of the window cleaners at my local supermarket contains ammonia. I don't know where to find a cleaner that does. On 1st September Canon UK Technical Support e-mailed me an automated acknowledgement of my request for help, but they haven't yet contacted me with any actual help.

I have to print a lot of A3-size exhibition materials: by 9th September if possible and by 11th September at the latest. What should I do to get my i9950 fully operational as soon as possible?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I made my own cleaner using 'Household Ammonia' from a Poundstretcher shop. It should be available from any hardware shop that supermarkets haven't put out of business! I made up a 5% solution of ammonia in water.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dead right. See my post on the General Forum "UK Alternative to Windex" Works great but again watch what you drink!

Doug

Hughbikes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Embguy was right: the purge unit had failed. Cleaning didn't revive it but a rather expensive replacement purge unit has got the i9950 working properly again. I am grateful to everyone who contributed advice.

However, I am now worried about Scots members discussing the drinkability of household ammonia. Has someone increased the price of Buckfast Tonic Wine or what? ;o)

hogy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have the i9950 fault described above. While printing a set of twenty pictures with no fault, the printer stoped half through a page, ejected the sheet and showed the fault code green five orange repeating. The manual identifies this as bad fitted print head. I re-fitted several times with no success. I cleaned the head even though head patterns were perfect prior to printing all with no success. Running the printer with no cartridge fitted gave the same result. The printer goes through the full set of tests finishing with the 1/5/repeat pattern when the print head returns to home. If the test is performed with out the print head, the test sequence finishes with the normal continuous green. An attempt at reset is aborted at the two button release point. Is this a clear case of faulty head?. Any help gratefully anticipated.

Hogy

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
hogy
Its replacement print head time, that code: - bad fitted print head.. means youre not printing any more with this one.
Its just another way of Canon saying Its time to put your hand in your pocket again
If you shop around you should get one for about $90, sorry for the bad news..:(