Canon I9900 Prints a magenta stripe on the last 1/2 inch on an 8 x 10

Bithead

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My Canon I9900 has started to print a magenta stripe completely across anything I print. It is on the last end of the print as it comes out of the printer. I can see the paper feed slow down when it gets to the end of the paper. I have seen the stripe before but I thought it was associated with the paper type but it now is on everything, all paper types. I am also having some banding problems especially in the lighter colors (cloudy skies) which I suspect is a clogged cyan nozzle but the magenta stripe is really pronounced and shows through all colors. I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to clear up the banding problems, hot water baths, hot water injected thru the ink inlets, original Windex bath, Windex injected thru the ink inlet, many, many purge prints, which all look ok, swapping all of the inks out. I use Hobbicolor inks in OEM carts and Hobbicolor carts, G&G carts, TrueColor Imaging inks from Alotofthings in OEM carts and Alotofthings carts. I do not believe the banding/stripe issue is ink or cart related but a print head problem. The banding I can try to resolve but the stripe is driving me nuts!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Bithead. Try this....

Take a 3" x 3" Post it (you know, the little square note pads with a 3/4" adhesive strip across the back) and secure it to the back side, of the top right of your photo paper, so that it is even with the right side of the paper (as your looking at it in the printer), but only the sticky part is attached behind it.

What this does, is to give the printer something to hang onto as the last of the printer paper leaves the rollers. My buddies i9900 and my old i960, both use to do this same thing (a band across the last inch of the print), but the Post it sticker completely eliminated this problem.

BTW, I can't really take credit for this "fix"...... I actually learned it here on this Ink Jet Stuff forum :)

Peace,
Fish

Bithead

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks to you guys, Grandad35 and Fish Chris.

I'll give the Post It a try.

To clarify my ink usage: when I swap out inks I flush out the head with hot water until all of the jets run clear, put in the new ink and run a cleaning cycle to 'load' the ink then print. I use the cart cleaning rig that Grandad35 detailed with a slow water flow. The clear tubing will fit the ink inlet after it gets warm. Possibly this practice has harmed the print head.

Granda35, a very informative thread, thanks for the pointer.

Bithead

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Fish,

Finally found the time to try the Post It. Works as advertised. Thanks for the "fix", however, when I followed the thread that Grandad35 offered there was a mention in there that the Post It actually masks the real problem, a clogged nozzle. That is the real issue.

I'm still trying to get it cleared up.

Thanks

Fish Chris

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello Bithead. First off, I'm glad that fix worked.

Aside from that, here's how I look at it..... I personally wouldn't care if I had clogged print heads, busted rollers, warped paper beds, etc, etc, etc. I simply look at the print, and if looks good, it's all good :) In my opinion, their is only a "problem" if your images are not printing correctly.

Peace,
Fish