Canon i960 problem (Magenta tint to all pictures)

swb25

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've had the Canon i960, which I use exclusively for photo printing, for about 6 months. No problems until today. My wife was printing some pics last week and a box popped up and told her it was out of ink. I went down to Staples and purchased a cartridge of Staples brand yellow, photo magenta and photo cyan. Replaced the old cartridges with the new. Didn't have any more pictures to print, so I didn't use it until today. I've printed about 10 different pictures, all with a lot of white in them. All the pictures have printed perfectly, but with a really bad magenta tint to them. It doesn't appear to be getting any better or worse, I've printed off several pictures twice and they look exactly the same. I tried the deep cleaning, still the same. Anybody have any suggestions? Cheap Staples ink?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Well, you can use the driver settings to decrease magenta intensity. I think Canon originals too are a bit too intense on magenta.

dnkhan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Do not touch any settings, your printer motherboard is not working properly.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
swb25:
Check out this link, post 32 http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65&p=4

There have been numerous complaints about different casts when using non OEM cartridges they very, cayan, yellow and magenta. Usually comes from using OEM cartridges with 3rd party cartridges. The soultion is to use profiles for the different inks you are using or wasting time paper and ink to get your printer to match what is on your monitor.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I don't know the quality or color integrity of Staples inks. There are several inks recomended on this forum and on Neil Slade's site (link on the top of this forum home page) and I would suggest staying with inks that others have found satisfactory.

Boris Tahmasian

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Did you ever solve the problem? I am having a strong Magenta cast problems as well.

A response will be appreciated.

Boris

bellanrusty

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem, but with the following specifics.

I was printing just fine on my i960 for over a year, and I switched to MediaStreet/InkjetGoodies ink about 6 months ago. (Same paper the whole time, always printing on "Glossy Photo Paper" setting.) Things were going fine, when suddenly, I try to print and everything starts coming out very magenta. After wrestling with the problem for a bit, I've figured out that the printer prints NORMAL looking pictures when "Plain Paper" and "Standard" print quality is selected, but then, when any other type of paper is selected (and the quality typically defaults to "High", the super-Magenta cast comes in.

This is not a print head problem. I've done a 5 basic color test -- red, yellow, green, blue, and orange, and on "Plain Paper", and they all come out correctly, but on "Glossy Photo", the blue square comes out purple, and the orange square comes out bright red. This seems like a profile problem, but I've never ever monkeyed with my profiles. So is there something wrong with my printer motherboard, as an earlier post suggests?

Boris Tahmasian

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Someone from this forum emailed me and confirmed my suspecions that the problem may be hardware related (motherboard has gone haywire).

Frankly, I did all I could do by way of head cleaning and alignments and so forth.

I came to the same conclusion that the motherboard is busted.

I have since switched to Epson R200 and have already started using replacement inks with good results. Colors are not as snappy as the Epson original inks. At quarter of the cost of Epson inks. I can live with a little color adjustment.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Boris

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I use a Canon i960 as well. When reading the original post on this thread I can't help but suggest that when you change something like replacing selected OEM carts with non-oem carts and you immediately get a color shift, that is the first place to look for the cause of the problem! Case in point - this morning I just refilled my photo Cyan and photo magenta carts and the next prints I did came out with banding and a decided color shift to red/orange. a nozzle test print showed the photo cyan (and cyan as well) with banding. Was this a print head problem? I replaced the just-refilled carts with others that were refilled and the problem went away. It was either a poorly feeding cart or inadequate ink in the intake port of the print head from having the carts out a little too long while filling them. Whatever the problem was, I then blew lightly into the air vent of the carts that appeared to be malfunctioning, got some drops of ink to flow, replaced them into the printer, printed a perfect nozzle test, and went on to print with no problems. The carts that appeared to malfunction were OEM carts that had only been refilled twice, and I was pretty certain that they would still function well for several more refillings. Just had to think it through.

Remember that the first thing in diagnosing a problem is to evaluate what you did just prior to the problem occuring. I would also suggest that if the problem were actually the print head board you were still under warranty from Canon. Another lesson that comes with 25 years of working with computers is to only make one change at a time so you can isolate a problem that occurs and find the cause more easily.