Canon i960 print head. Glue for electronics ribbon from EEprom to base

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Grandad. Yes, I too saw the clear caulk like glue, but it was just used on the board edges - I think any old 100% silicone would do for that. The glue(s) I'm talking about are whatever glue is used to stick down that dark brown electronic parallel plastic ribbon to the base of the print head (see 2nd photo in post 9). IN the case of the i960 head, the glue is used a little up the side of the ceramic too, towards the board. I managed to peel the ribbon off that glue.

For some reason I think that the "pressure" attempts to clean the print head may have broken a seal. See the first photo in Post 9. That black stuff on the underside of the nozzles. It must be another glue/gasket material. Is it hard/soft/sticky? I suspect ink escaped and made its way to the wire connections around the square (in i960's case) nozzle unit.

The 2nd photo in post 9 makes the job of removing the ribbon and nozzles look like a mission impossible, if trying to fix it.
But I did have success removing the ribbon from the side of the ceramic, slowly and carefully.

The black glue/gasket under the nozzles could be a problem (for removal), if it sticks much better or in a diferent way than the brown brittle glue. Nozzles aren't flexible either, possibly making any attempt impossible too. The ribbon to nozzle connections would break.

If that black glue/gasket material will reseal with heat/time, it could be possible to push the nozzles off the ceramic just a tiny bit, then heat the base to force moisture out of it, then let the nozzles return to the ceramic to re seat/seal under whatever conditions that would allow that to happen.

Who knows...

It would be innteresting to know what that black glue/gasket material is, and it's properties.
In addition to knowing what the brown brittle glue is (I don't think I'd be able to peel the plastic off epoxy?).

Thanks

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Also, when I was trying to clean the head from the rubber gasket/holes in ceramic side of the head, I could see light through the hole of the nozzle bank that was clogged. Water wouldn't go through those nozzles, but it did through most of the others.