Canon i960 print head. Glue for electronics ribbon from EEprom to base

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon i960 print head.

Does anyone know what glue is used on the electrical ribbon at the bottom of the EEprom board which is on the back of the black plastic carts holder. It's that brown looking brittle glue. It sticks the plastic ribbon to the side of the ceramic base, and is also no doubt used to stick the ribbon to the base of the printhead. That square of ribbon around the silver nozzles. What type of glue is it. It must withstand heat.

Has anyone seen any photos of that part of the print head disassembled?
I don't mean above the ceramic - I've seen back there, with the long rubber gasket with 6 holes, and 6 square looking holes through the ceramic.
No, what I mean is: has anyone stripped off the entire electronics ribbon and the nozzels to look back inside there (the other side of the ceramic holes)?
I wonder if there's another form of gasket in there?

Thanks
:/

chirantha7777

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You don't need to remove the ribon to remove the print head. Also I've tried removing the print head from the white ceramic... I failed... the head broke... There is no sponge or anything bitween the print head and ceramic. Also never remove a print head because particles will go inside through those small holes and you won't be able to get them out. They will also cause problems to the ink flow. My IP3500 print head died because I opened it.

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No, I want to know what type of glue they use.
Also I would think someone on the forum would have taken one of these print heads completely apart and taken photos.

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It must be a glue that'll stick to ceramic and plastic and withstand some degree of heat and moisture.

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Actually chirantha7777, can you take a photo of behind the electronics ribbon and nozzles on that broken head, and post it so we can see?

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK Ron, I think I've come across this posting seevral times.
On page 1
Photo 1 shows the print head.
Photo 2 shows the printhead again at a slightly different angle.
photo 3 shows the rubber gasket on the bottom of the black plastic cart holder.
photo 4 shows what's inder the gasket on the bottom of the black plastic cart holder.
photo 5 shows the printhead with the black plastic cart holder and the rubber gasket removed.

Is there anywhere that show a situation where on photo 5 (or photo 1, which is a view from the other side) the ceramic is removed from the brown electronic ribbon?

Are you saying there is a photo of that deeper within the article Ron?

Thanks

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
(edit 21st Oct - FYI - I didn't see the prior post, thanks Ron, I must have been creating my post when you posted. I got there anyway)

OK Ron, I wasn't really wanting to wade thru the postings again without knowing the info was "there", but as you didn't reply I had no alternative.
Luckily, it starts on page 2 (for me) or post 101 by Mikling, and there's all kinds of detail on the posts that follow.
It looks like I have some reading to do.....

Thanks Ron! :D

If you happen to be sure if the posting goes into the types of glue, please let me know (now it looks like there are 2 glues, brown for the electronic ribbon, but there's also a black (glue or substance) on the other side of the nozzels).

Here are the "Mikling" poster's photos of the print head for people that need them NOW like me :p:

HeadChannelsnotsealed.jpg

Inkchannels.jpg

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
These photos show both sides of the PC board on a failed print head that someone sent me to dissect. The ribbon was already completely stripped from the ceramic print head, so there was no glue left at that end. The glue is translucent and is soft and flexible - like a clear silicone bathtub caulk. If your glue is brown and brittle, I would suspect that it might be an epoxy.

The ends of the ribbon are soldered in place to achieve the required electrical connection and the glue appears to be a strain relief to keep stress away from the solder joint. Remember that the print head can get warm, so any glue has to be able to tolerate extended operation at elevated temperatures.
113_glue1.jpg

113_glue2.jpg