Canon i960 colour problem and funny nozzle check

svtcontour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I did a nozzle check because I was getting some odd prints - seemed like I was missing some color and I got this:

problemi960.jpg

anyone know why 6M (Magenta) might only be printing exactly half? I tried cleanings and even pulling the print head and soaking it in water overnight and its still the same. I suspect its not a clogging problem because its exactly in half.

My guess is a dead print head or some other electrical problem..what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance. PS. The printer had been sitting for about a year which I know is bad but all the other colours are fine - not clogged or anything.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the print head is damaged or dead. It is just clogged. The best and safest unclogging method is to use cleaning cartridge. You can make one yourself by filling an empty cartridge with Windex. Plug in the cleaning cartridge for a day or two, or even a few days. It will clear the clog eventually.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)

svtcontour

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm ditching the whole inkjet thing. Not worth the time or hassle. I'll just save up for an entry level Xerox phaser thermal wax printer. They have very few moving parts and are reliable. You can get wax for them from 3rd party which seem to work well and are sorta of cheap. Only downfall seems to be that you pretty much have to leave them on.. On/off cycles use up the wax. Oh the wax is also succeptible to high temperatures but thats fine.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It always amazes me how so many people give up on things so quickly. The Canon i960 is one of the best printers that Canon ever made. Many web sites still rate it as #1. If you want to fix it,.. ask us again. If you want to get rid of it, put it on eBay and I'll buy it. Whatever you do, don't take it to the dump. The printhead alone is worth $50.

By the way, I believe your problem is that you got one of the gold contacts on the back of the printhead dirty and it is not making good contact. It could still be a clog in one row of Magenta nozzles but I would put $10 on a dirty contact.