Canon i860 -This Broken Piece Causing Error 5100? (pics)

Photog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX892
Bought this i860 on eBay. Seller had a nice dated pic of a test print, so I'm pretty sure the breakage happened in transit. Since the printhead wasn't secured, I think it slammed against and broke this piece near the purge pads.

Error 5100 refers to a problem with the printhead carriage. (Thanks to all who posted previous Error 5100 posts!) Could this broken piece be the culprit? If so, I'll email the seller, tell him that I'll try super-gluing it, but if that doesn't work, I need to return it.

The pics show where the piece is missing, the piece set in place, and a closeup of the piece.

Thanks.

3777_i860_wo.jpg

3777_i860_with.jpg

3777_i860_piece.jpg

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
It could be you're right but if that happened during the transit then it's likely that there are other parts damaged in the printer. The force required to break that part off would be pretty big and I'd expect other problems.

Personally I'd get your money back but that's just my opinion.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Photog,... The part you are looking at is the guard lip on the purge unit. The white bar behind where it goes is the locking lever that is supposed to keep the printhead in place when powered off. During shipment the lever is up. It appears that there was a large jolt to the printer as if it was dropped vertically on it's left side. This kind of force would cause the printhead, with all ink cart and ink installed, to move rapidly to the left. The force would break the black housing.

Canon specifically instructs all Service Technicians to brace and tape the printhead in position once the power is off. I found this to be absolutely necessary each time I shipped any printer.

Since you already have the covers off, I suggest you try and epoxy the part back together again and see if it works. You may have to take out the purge unit to get at the parts you need to epoxy so you don't glue things together that you don't want to. Again since you have the covers off, you can manually cycle the purge unit though all of the cycle by turnning the large gear away from the front. You can see in your picture that the purge unit is full of junked up ink so you may want to take it out and clean it anyway. Might at well clean the waste ink pads at the same time. The cost to ship it back will probably not be paid for by the seller.