Canon i560 Prints every other stroke

Maureen23669

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I found an i560 at a thrift store, and paid 5 bucks for it. Brought it home and replaced the ink tanks and did a deep cleaning, and voila! - perfecto! It worked great for a week or two of intermittent use.
Now it appears that it only prints the pigment on one stroke of the print head. On the test pattern, the top half of the 3eBK line is blank. The bottom half of that line is perfect. Photos print perfectly. Text prints with white bands throughout.
I know I've seen this answered here. But just spent an hour trying to find it - no joy.
(Can't figure out how to upload my test print.)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Your description sounds like there is an electrical problem with the pigment black nozzles. If you are lucky, it will be in the connector on the back of the print head. Sometimes removing the print head and re-installing it will fix the problem but more often, it has just died and won't be repairable except by purchasing a new print head.

To upload a picture, click on the Upload link at the top of this page and click on Browse. Find the image on your computer and the rest should be obvious. If you still can't figure it out, let us know the step you are having trouble with.

It would be good to upload a copy of the nozzle check for us to examine.

Maureen23669

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tried removing and reinstalling the print head - no improvement.

4352_canon_i560_print_problem.jpg
the bottom portion is just a string of a's.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
This is definately symptomatic of an electrical problem in the print head. It will cost you typically $50 to get a new print head and there is the posibility that a new print head may not fix the problem.