Canon grommets - a hint

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Websnail,

A serious CIS question for you:

With Canon iP4200 printers, do you seem to have more problems as your external ink bottles get low on ink?

Perhaps you have not thought about that, but try to think back or observe closely in the future. This could be an important clue to ink flow difficulties with Canon Pixma printers like the iP4200, iP4300, etc.

I have written before concerning the extra work for the printhead when it must produce the suction to pull ink up from the external bottles. That is not-designed-for work and the suction is surely the source of cartridge-to-print head air leaks. This pumping work and the suction must be increased when the ink is lower in the external ink bottles.

I am starting some CIS experiments with an iP4200 soon. I am still gathering some last supplies for the system I am building, but they will be ready before long. The system is not at all complex, but I am trying to get just the right parts so it will be very re-produceable, should it work well.

This experimental system will keep the top-of-ink elevation in the external bottles very close to the cartridge exit port elevation. I am hoping that providing this condition will make this CIS function quite properly.

Being cautious, I have acquired a second iP4200 just for the CIS experiments. I want to always be able to print on my original iP4200, (running on refills), should I really make a mess in some of the CIS trials.

BTW, how about those photos of your system(s)?

canonfodder

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
canonfodder said:
With Canon iP4200 printers, do you seem to have more problems as your external ink bottles get low on ink?
Actually quite the opposite... It seems that I have more problems when the inks are topped up. Counter intuitive I know but it's made me wonder if the problem may actually be too much pressure (in some cases I think I've got ink reservoir levels above the level of the cartridge)

Perhaps you have not thought about that, but try to think back or observe closely in the future. This could be an important clue to ink flow difficulties with Canon Pixma printers like the iP4200, iP4300, etc.
Trust me I have it embossed on my frontal lobes (what's left of them!) ;)... My problem is that I've tried many things at once and not been as patient or as empiric as I could be.. In addition there's been variables that I didn't expect.

I am starting some CIS experiments with an iP4200 soon. I am still gathering some last supplies for the system I am building, but they will be ready before long. The system is not at all complex, but I am trying to get just the right parts so it will be very re-produceable, should it work well.

This experimental system will keep the top-of-ink elevation in the external bottles very close to the cartridge exit port elevation. I am hoping that providing this condition will make this CIS function quite properly.

Being cautious, I have acquired a second iP4200 just for the CIS experiments. I want to always be able to print on my original iP4200, (running on refills), should I really make a mess in some of the CIS trials.
I'll be interested to see what you turn up.

BTW, how about those photos of your system(s)?
Oops... I'm crap... I'll sort some today after I've had a bite to eat.. Oh and there's multiple systems :p

eze

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
HI

Been using cis on my ip4300 since they came out a couple of years ago and ip5200 before that.
Had no grommet problems using canon supplied rubber grommets
Had the magenta channel producing smeared banding , showing low ink intake possible air leak on cartridge print head join.
Read up on the grommet theories all sounds good gave it a go and made my own using silicone.
Did not help fitted them in all different ways and thicknesses.
Cleaned the magenta print head injecting cleaning fluid through it.
How you ask.
Bought a cleaning fluid kit which comes with small syringe and "squashed nipple" rubber attachment on the needle end.
This flat rubber outlet can be pressed against the ink inlet on the print head and fluid forced through the print head.
This method I have found much better than leaving the head to sit in cleaning fluid soaked tissue.

My cis did not come with grommets came from ebay and I imported some from China and ink to sell, very common model for the canon printers.
All I am putting into the pot is that your cis may not need new grommets.
I also saw away a small piece of internal plastic housing left hand side of the printer entrance which hangs down 1.5 cm and gets in the way of the cis tubing
Also found putting a blob of blue tack under my tubing arm so the arm is at 45 deg up angle. This makes the tubing rise up in the middle section and for me creates a much clearer flow under the left of the plastic housing.Stopping the dreaded crunch, tube, print head, housing tangle.
Yes have had problems with canon cis over epson but have learnt most of the tweaks and work a rounds to make canon cis nearly as hastle free as epson.
Been printing high volume for nearly 10 years and cis for most of that
In my experience for high volume printing canon is worth going for cis over epson.
Faster
Less ink usage
Less ink wastage
Better quality print
Pick up paper better
Easy head removal and clean

When I get time will post a canon cis tips and tricks section.

Does anyone know if the new canon ip4600 can have the ink level indicators turned of when cartridge ink runs out, as in previous models.
Also do the codes work the same when needing to clear ink counter, print out page no of print outs etc.

Keep the info flowing
All the best