Canon CLI-8 Cartridge

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
That sucks, one of the main reasons to buy Canon was because they didn't do the chip nonsense. Now were going to need chip resetters if want to use third party ink.

zakezuke

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
KnightCrawler said:
That sucks, one of the main reasons to buy Canon was because they didn't do the chip nonsense. Now were going to need chip resetters if want to use third party ink.
Or do what epson users do and get chips or refillable carts with resettable chips onboard. I agree this sucks large rocks. What sucks larger rocks is the fact that the BCI-7s are not chipped, not that i'm aware anyway, and use the same chromalife-100 ink as the CLI-8s.

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Do we really know if the chip is to stifle refilling or is it to drive the low ink LED on the printer? If it is to restrict refilling, I figure it will be only a very short time before that little scheme is bypassed.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Don't buy ip4200 then Canon will get the message. If printer is chipped it is dumped.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Weink.com has posted their latest news letter, you must subscripe to get the news letter. Here is a quote.
"Pixma ip4200 Refill Supplies
We have begun R & D work on the new PGI-5 and CLI-8 cartridges being used in the new Canon Pixma ip4200 printer. These cartridges are enabled with a smart chip like the current crop of Epson printers. Additionally the chips on these cartridges include a LED display light which signals the user when a cartridge needs eplacement. The Pixma ip4200 printer is a new generation version of the Pixma ip5000 printer, offering all of the features of the ip5000 but the magenta and dye black ink formulations have been updated forming a new ink set that Canon calls ChromaLife100 inks. We currently have the inks available as the UltraFLO for Canon RC100 ink set. We are developing refill methods for the OEM cartridges, as well as developing compatible versions of the cartridges. We will keep you updated as new information develops.

cnrambler

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
You can also find the similar inkjets on Abcink.com, I heard from my friend who got a happy experience on it.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The fine print boys is that the compatible carts do not come with microchips. You'll have to use what comes with the originals and transfer it and risk breaking the chip? . By then I might as well refill the originals. Right?

The new generation canon chips seem to be communicate on encrypted channels unlike the old epsons.
Welcome to the new World order. Better hang on to those old printers. There is also something else afoot in those chipped cartridges... check out some announcements by HP concerning the capability of those chips that they haven't implemented yet. BTW Canon provides the HP engines for the lasers so Watch Out.