Canon Chip Resetter Reports

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
brendo said:
The PCB is completely different on the blue one to the red. The PCB is a totally different layout(path), the IC chip is in a slightly different spot, and is thermally sealed. not an exact copy IMO, but similar.
They said that software is the same. But how could it be different it's meant to do the same thing.

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
brendo said:
The PCB is completely different on the blue one to the red. The PCB is a totally different layout(path), the IC chip is in a slightly different spot, and is thermally sealed. not an exact copy IMO, but similar.
They said that software is the same. But how could it be different it's meant to do the same thing.
exactly, smile, exactly. anyways competition is a good thing. Makes prices lower :D

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
brendo said:
Smile said:
brendo said:
exactly, smile, exactly. anyways competition is a good thing. Makes prices lower :D
That's true.

I only don't understand how many different red setters are there. I count 4.

Light color redsetter.
Solid Red redsetter.
Bluesetter
indetical to redsetter Bluesetter.

I got the light color redsetter. Works fine over here 50 resets.

What I mean is I read that some redsetters fail, while others work fine. Is this a defect in quality. Or perhaps more like a "chinese copy doesn't work right" case scenario?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
brendo said:
the IC chip is in a slightly different spot, and is thermally sealed. not an exact copy IMO, but similar.
What makes an exact copy is not the layout of the board but the algorithm in the chip. If Sudhaus has designed the algorithm and if the blue resetter chips are copying this algorithm, it is a copyright violation of the Sudhaus work.

anyways competition is a good thing. Makes prices lower :D
If the reports are correct, this is not competition but copying. It would mean that nobody would waste time in designing a reset algorithm for the newest cartridges because there wouldn't be any profit in it. This is not a good thing, even if prices drop for the current resetters.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile said:
I only don't understand how many different red setters are there. I count 4.

Light color redsetter.
Solid Red redsetter.
Bluesetter
indetical to redsetter Bluesetter.

I got the light color redsetter. Works fine over here 50 resets.
I would assume that the light red and the dark red Redsetters are the same redsetters but with a different batch of plastic covering them.

And if the Bluesetters (I waive my royalty rights to my forum friends) are direct copies, then that is copyright theft.

But then I thought about the original IBM BIOS and Compaq (I think were the first) copying that for their early PC clones. Except they did not copy it, but reverse engineered their BIOS chips to behave exactly the same as the IBM BIOS chips, but they could prove they did not "look inside" the chip but made one that behaved the same. This was deemed OK and so PC clones became the norm.

If this is still legal, then if the Bluesetter makers can prove (there are set ways apparently you can do this) they have simply made a simulation that copies the behaviour (with different code), then that might be legal.

But I don't know much about this sort of thing.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
My understanding is that the blue unit is an update of the red unit. It has easily replacable batteries, different pc board due to an overheating problem with the red units, and from what I've read, it uses 3 batteries. I got the 3 battery info from an Australian website. The US distributor indicates it's from the same company. See "Chip Resetter Availability" thread in this forum.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
billkunert said:
My understanding is that the blue unit is an update of the red unit. It has easily replacable batteries, different pc board due to an overheating problem with the red units, and from what I've read, it uses 3 batteries. I got the 3 battery info from an Australian website. The US distributor indicates it's from the same company. See "Chip Resetter Availability" thread in this forum.
Here is a page from the BlueSetter instruction sheet that I received when I returned my malfunctioning RedSetter to Michele http://www.inkjetreset.com/and received the BlueSetter as a warranty replacement. It shows the battery type and replacement procedure.

Binkie

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The batteries in old redsetter are CR232 3V and new bluesetter uses 3 batteries 1.5V.

So it uses 4.5volts instead of 3volts used by redsetter. So how is this "smarter" ?

I don't know how they are connected, they could be connected to give more mA but I doubt it would run on 1.5v so it certainly is using 4.5V instead of 3V.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
"What makes an exact copy is not the layout of the board but the algorithm in the chip. If Sudhaus has designed the algorithm and if the blue resetter chips are copying this algorithm, it is a copyright violation of the Sudhaus work."

Also I was thought that an algorithm was made to copy OEM chips not broken to re-program them?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Sudhaus presented the original redsetter in April 2008. Considering that no other resetter was released for 3-4 months, it is safe to consider that Sudhaus is the original designer.

Recently, according to inkjetreset, RKS-technik is being reported designing a resetter as well. Here are a few samples from chinese factories:

http://www.skycomn.com/sdp/94324/4/pl-133482.html (designed by RKS?)
http://www.equnxin.com/sdp/149103/4/pd/4758939.html (designed by RKS?)
http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/4699679/Canon_CLI-8_PGI-5_Resetter.html (designed by RKS?)
http://www.yuxunda.com/sdp/156849/4/pd/4580349.html (designed by RKS?)

These new resetters according to inkjetreset.com are reportedly designed from RKS and bear a suspicious resemblance to the Sudhaus resetter. This resemblance is striking on the outside, but also quite apparent on the PCB. The only practical change is an increase in voltage. Is RKS to be trusted though, considering that they have copied the Sudhaus design? I think not! Binkie has reported that he had a problem with an RKS resetter from inkjetreset. It seems that non-Sudhaus resetters, whatever their color, are not to be trusted.

I have placed my order for the ORIGINAL Sudhaus reDsetter from patronenhandel. These are the guys who designed it in the first place.