Canon chip not recognised on short cartridge

Stingraynut

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm fitting a CIS on my Canon IP4200

The system came with shorter cartridges which leaves more room for the tubing.

When I stick the chip on the small cartridge it's not recognised. When I stick it back on the original cartridge it is recognised again. When I stick the chip on another normal cartridge it is recognised.

Have tried this several times, can't see why the chip is not being recognised. It is located on the two pins and all looks same as when on either of other carts.

Does anyone have any ideas

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hold one of your shorter cartridges alongside a Canon cartridge and look for any dimensional difference in the area of the chip mounting. You are probably not getting contact with the chip and it is the fault of the short cartridge.

Tell your CIS supplier what is wrong and ask for a solution.

If you don't get a satisfactory solution that way, do what you can to make the chip on the short cartridge line up with the chip on a Canon cartridge.

Stingraynut

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - I solved the problem, it was that the shorter cartridges were below the light sensor, so when the led's lit up in the self test at start up, the printer thought it was missing the cartridges - CIS seller gave me a full refund because I was sick of swapping chips and carts around, dismantling the printer over and over and having inky fingers.

I got some extremely good help from another CIS supplier RIHAC, even though it wasn't their system, they confirmed that I was right about the short carts and they even gave me the Chinese website URL where I could see my system for $20 !!! I had paid $165.

They suggested that the ink might be poor quality too. I eventually bought a CIS system from them, because they had demonstrated how much they knew about all the systems out there- they also assured me that their ink was top quality. The new system was about $15 cheaper, much better constructed, came with a colour fitting instruction booklet and it was simple to install and worked immediately.