Canon cartridge compatibility conundrum

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Canon MX726 - Win7

Accidentally bought the compatible Big Black cart when I just wanted the small one (photo)

Sending back to the supplier is uneconomic, so I just ordered another.

My question: The supplier says the ink is the same. Any reason why I can't just drill a small hole in both carts and refill the smaller unit? I have a hypodermic with a small needle.

Of course, I can just wait until the Big Black cart that's currently in the printer, runs out. But at the rate I do color printing that might be some time away.

Besides I don't mind fiddling with minor projects like this :p

But tearing down and (unsuccessfully) attempting to reassemble an MP830 has caused me to draw a large black line that I will never, ever, cross again :tongue

Cheers, all!
IMG_3184.JPG
:old

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The large PGI-650 and even larger capacity XL version are Pigment Ink.

The smaller CLI-651 and its larger capacity XL version are Dye-based Ink.

Do NOT use pigment ink in a dye-based cartridge. It will clog or starve the print head, will need o be flushed out and may cause permanent nozzle damage.

You can use dye-based ink in a pigment cartridge but the text will not be as sharp, will smudge easily and not be highlighter resistant.

If you do refill a cartridge with appropriate ink then you will either need a chip resetter to maintain the printer's automatic ink level monitoring or override the printer's warnings on the empty cartridge and you must keep close watch on ink levels or risk running out and burning up nozzles.

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Thanks, Stratman.

So the supplier was in error in telling me that the ink from the big 650 cartridge was the same as used in the small 651 cart? (Both pictured)

Something else: He also said that when it runs out, I could replace the large black cart in my MX726 - a 655 XXL - with the 650XL shown in the pic.
In other words, he was saying, 'Well, just hang on the 650XL and you can use that to replace the existing cart'.

Is that not correct, then?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
One way to keep these inks proper in your mind is to refer to them by their full model name, ie PGI and CLI. I gleaned the following info from https://www.hottoner.com.au/Canon-MX726-Ink-Cartridges-c10233.html. Note the "Genuine Canon Ink" section.

The PGI-650 cartridge is PIGMENT ink used, for example, for text in Plain Paper mode. It is not used in printing images. The PGI-650 comes as an XL size - High Yield. There is also the PGI-655 XXL - Extra High Yield. Obviously the XL and XXL have more Pigment ink in them so they last longer.

The CLI-651 cartridge is DYE-BASED ink used for printing images. It can be used to print text if you choose a different paper setting than Plain Paper - but I digress. The CLI-651 comes in an XL size as well that has more ink in the cartridge and lasts longer.

Understanding these differences, let's tackle your questions.

So the supplier was in error in telling me that the ink from the big 650 cartridge was the same as used in the small 651 cart?
If what you are saying is accurate then yes, the supplier was in error.

I could replace the large black cart in my MX726 - a 655 XXL - with the 650XL shown in the pic.
Yes, correct.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You list an MX720 in your description of all your printers. Is that in additio0n to the MX726 this thread is about?

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Thanks, Stratman (love your avatar - bzzzz!)
Your info is MOST helpful - spells it out clearly.
And no, I don't have an MX720, just the MX726. I must correct that in my details.
But I also have an MG7760.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The big black cartridge ought to contain pigment ink, but in some compatible cartridges the same type dye black is used in both the small and the big black cartridges. To test if the ink in the big black cartridge is pigment or dye see this post.

If the large black cartridge actually contains pigment ink then the use of this ink in the small cartridge for dye black will likely cause clogging of the dye black nozzles. This clogging might be impossible to clear. I would not transfer the ink from the large to the small black cartridge even if tests might suggest it is dye ink.

It is not recommended to refill compatible cartridges for single use, as the refilled cartridge might develop problems with ink starvation. A reliable flow of ink is necessary to cool the nozzles in a thermal print head. Without proper cooling the print head might quickly be damaged. Here is an example of damaged dye black nozzles from an MG5550 that uses the same generation ink cartridges as your MX726.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So the supplier was in error in telling me that the ink from the big 650 cartridge was the same as used in the small 651 cart? (Both pictured)
Most if not all aftermarket cartridges sold don’t contain any pigment ink whatsoever, that’s how they can sell them so cheaply, and your supplier was right and honest with his answer, rare these days...
Do the test that @PeterBJ suggested to be sure....

Technician

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iX6850
As the years go by this ink type thing becomes more and more of a minefield it seems. I saw an ad for inkjet cartridges on ebay recently that showed an image of a cartridge with 'Pigment' printed on the side. In the product description however it said the ink was dye based, honest maybe but still misleading.

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Guys, thanks for all the comments. I've just been taking a closer look at my supplier's website and I'm starting to see how confusing it is.

https://www.consumables.co.nz/shop/...anon-multifunction-printers/canon-pixma-mx726

This whole thing came about when I ordered three Canon-compatible replacement carts. I'd got into the habit of only buying whatever I needed at the time, because the supplier delivers freight-free. Sometimes I'd even order one cart. I'm 1600km by road from the supplier so it's a good deal.

Anyway, I was careless with the order. I'd manually checked the printer a month earlier and when I placed the order, I remembered only that I needed two blacks and a yellow. Then, when I checked the supplier's web page, I mistakenly assumed that there were alternative sizes for BOTH black carts, whereas it's only the PG cart that comes in different sizes.

In other words, the printer's cartridge bank consists of four small carts and one large, not three small and two large.

So I was quite surprised when, after querying the supplier by email, he phoned me and explained that the two large carts on the invoice were just alternatives for the same large slot in the cartridge bank.

Which is why I now have a spare large black cartridge.

BTW, the invoice, apart from the yellow cart, describes: (sic, including truncation)
"PGI655XXL BK Compatible Canon Large Capacity Black In $9.56 (excl. GST)
PGI650XLBK Hi Capacity Compatible Canon Black PGI6 $8.69 (excl. GST)"

After our conversation, I suggested he change his web page listing to be more explicit about the large carts being alternatives for the same slot. But I doubt that'll happen.